Sign in to follow this  
jgaz

Wrangler Cargo Basket

I was looking for ways to outfit my 06 LJ for a hiking base camp vehicle and liked the idea (not the price) of a cargo basket. I came across the idea I'm about to show on one of the many Jeep forums. I don't have the exact post as the info was lost a computer or so ago. I just wanted to be clear that this idea was borrowed from someone else. He used a completely different mounting system than what I'm going to show.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2830&stc=1&d=1440026453

I started with your basic Harbor Freight hitch mounted cargo carrier. I picked one up at a garage sale in Michigan before I moved. The original square tube center section that mounts into the hitch receiver was quite badly bent. I removed the square tube, bolted the two basket halves together, and shortened the two u channel top bars to fit the new width. Presto! A low buck Wrangler cargo basket is born. Note: This shot was taken in my garage in Michigan. You may notice the snow blower and the lawn mower, neither of which I still own. Lol!

attachment.php?attachmentid=2831&stc=1&d=1440026857

To mount my basket I first bolted a length of 3x3 angle to the top of the tub using the hard top bolt locations to secure it. I didn't know exactly how far fore or aft I wanted the basket so I made the tub mount about 3 feet long. My original basket mount used 1x1 angle iron to attach to the tub mount. In this picture you can see what I should have done in the first place. There is a row of holes along the top edge. These are drilled 4' on center to allow for the adjustment that I found I needed soon after I finished the first version.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2832&stc=1&d=1440027710

Here is version one in use on its maiden voyage. I was quite happy with the two tier system. But...nothing stays the same for long.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2834&stc=1&d=1440028126

This picture shows the basket in its new position. This became necessary when I got a good deal on a used Engle fridge.

I wanted to keep the basket so I needed to raise it about 3" and move it forward to accommodate my new to me fridge. This is where the row of adjusting holes I showed in the earlier pic came into play. I made two new brackets to mount the basket to the angle iron on the tub. I used some left over 3x3 angle and this time drilled the holes in the basket mount angle iron 12" on center to allow me to adjust the basket in 4" increments. I can't quite recline the drivers seat fully but its not bad.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2835&stc=1&d=1440028887

This is a close up of the tub mount and basket bracket that is currently version 2. You can also see in this picture two pieces of alum. round stock. These were cut to length, drilled and tapped on both ends to allow the basket to be bolted to the bracket and to mount rings on the top for use with tie down straps. They are not necessary but I had access to a lathe and time to use it so.......why not? If I ever finalize the mounting position of the basket I may trim some of the extra angle iron off both brackets ..... or maybe not.

I've got a trip coming up and will use the new fridge to see how everything works together.

IMG_0060(3).thumb.jpg.c988e2b1720715613877a063f680feaf.jpg

IMG_1651.thumb.jpg.c74a738a964aa48caf8c1cd46dec318c.jpg

IMG_1249.thumb.jpg.83587667737299dc78be8882f7c378d2.jpg

IMG_1660.thumb.jpg.df5192cdaa24a4301ab47b2fef5256b7.jpg

IMG_1656.thumb.jpg.d56b31d83e113c021be1f2a24ef31f3d.jpg

Nice work

That's really cool!

that's pretty sweet!! nice work

Looking sharp Jim… ;)

Here is a variation I made similar to Jim's basket. For the JKU I used the ATV basket from HF and secured it with u-bolts on the roll bar. At the front I used 2 braces that used bolts that were for the tie down points on the floor. The cut out on the basket was made so I could open the door on the micro wave.

DSCN1200X.thumb.jpg.2bd030b1f5aa5d75c1b6075173fbf7cc.jpg

DSCN1199.thumb.jpg.d9c9bf188d64a999da8ac8d285584c1f.jpg

Here is a full size basket I made for my 2 door 2010 JK with rear seat removed. If interested in it, pick it up. Taking up room in the side yard.

DSCN1201X.thumb.jpg.e3939554ebd62b549a5c110cf35c3251.jpg

Here is a full size basket I made for my 2 door 2010 JK with rear seat removed. If interested in it, pick it up. Taking up room in the side yard.

I'll take it. Don't know when I can make it out to your locale, but dibs. Any way you could bring it to Cinders? We'll have our little trailer we could get it home on. If that's impossible I'll tie this in with some other trip out that direction. Next time I need to go to the far west side I can let you know in advance.

I'll take it. Don't know when I can make it out to your locale, but dibs. Any way you could bring it to Cinders? We'll have our little trailer we could get it home on. If that's impossible I'll tie this in with some other trip out that direction. Next time I need to go to the far west side I can let you know in advance.

Sorry Diane, it has already been taken.

Ok Roy, I'm impressed. A microwave! That explains the rather large inverter and the large battery cables running up,the right side brace of your basket.

Do you power this and the fridge from the vehicle battery or do I see another battery in your first pic? I can't quite tell what I'm looking at.