Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Picacho Peak Hiking

My buddy Doug called me last week and said that since Picacho Peak State Park would be closing soon due to budget cuts, we needed to go hike it. I had never been there before, and hearing "State Park", assumed it would be I nice walk on a groomed path, and said sure! He said bring gloves for the cables. I thought that was a little overkill for what I imagined as hand rails on a groomed path, but brought the gloves anyway.

Well, it turns out that this is a serious hike. It's not long; 4+ miles round trip, but it's a lot of elevation gain, and some parts are literally straight up. That's what the cables are for. To allow you to get up stuff that would otherwise be serious mountain climbing.

Anyway, the cables make it very doable, and the views make the strain worth every penny.

Here's Doug and I hamming it up at the top.

IMG_2734.JPG

There were a lot of people out there which made for a few bottle necks. If you look closely you can see the cables that the people are using to pull themselves up an almost vertical section.

IMG_2743.JPG

Here's me coming up one of many the climbing sections, and yes, it's at least as steep as it looks.

IMG_2747.JPG

Another section. Here, in the foreground, you can see some of the fencing that's in place to keep people from falling off narrow sections.

IMG_2749.JPG

Back at the bottom were the poppies that Picacho Peak State Park is famous for this time of year.

IMG_2755.JPG

The poppies are blooming quite nice this year from all of the rain that we've had. The pictures do NOT do justice to how beautiful they are.

IMG_2762.JPG

The park is scheduled to close on June 3rd, by which time it will be too hot there anyway.

More info on the park is here:

http://azstateparks.com/Parks/PIPE/

Nice report and great pictures Goose! That's a serious mountain climb! d :rolleyes:

great pictures Goose; i really like the first one with the highway in the background for scale; detail shows how high up you were.

P.S. if you or anyone else would like to see massive amounts of poppies in bloom; feel free to stop by my house before this weekend when i yank those suckers out of the ground. they grow out of the asphalt in my neighborhood!:rolleyes:

Great trip report! I really love that trail and I'll be really sad if the park gets closed. Hopefully the state figures something out to keep it open.

And the bottle necks can get really congested. I was stuck behind 50 boy scouts one time. Luckily they made decent time. This trail does take some patience. The views at the top are definitely worth it! Great pics to!

Wow cool hike, I want to do that. George:cool:

I did this hike two weeks ago, one of the best hikes I've done. :cool:

Were there a lot of people when you hiked it George?

During the week is usually best. The weekends bring out more people which can complicate the cable sections.

Were there a lot of people when you hiked it George?

During the week is usually best. The weekends bring out more people which can complicate the cable sections.

It was Wednesday and not a lot of people. Leather gloves work great when using the cable.

I thought the park was closing? Now I want to do it!