Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

WJ Front End Refresh (HID's & more....)

the finishing touches

i was worried about those little GoreTex patches coming off because they didn't have a large area to stick too, so i wrapped the edges of them down with some heat-shrink tubing.

IMG_7469.JPG

as i mentioned before, the left-right alignment wasn't just right. i found that there is a fair bit of wiggle room in the header panel mounting, so i managed to help that some by loosening all its torx bolts and maneuvering it around a bit.

then to get even more adjustment, i used some spacers on the ball-stud mounts on one side of each headlight to tilt it left or right:

IMG_7475.JPG

the passenger side is still not perfect, so i may need to shim the bulb. i did swap bulbs from side to side to check for a defective one, but it didn't change anything.

and my order of a small piece of 3M 1080 vinyl wrap came in, so i was able do the final mod whichi think ties all the other changes together nicely... anyone fans of the Toy Story movies?

packed-you-angry-eyes-2.jpg

IMG_7603.JPG

IMG_7499.JPG

the metallic black gloss in the 3M 1080 series vinyl is a near perfect match for my paint, the fleck is just slightly warmer tinted, but not by much.

i masked off a guideline for the evil eyelids, then heated the headlamp lens just a bit with a heat gun.

IMG_7478.JPG

working with the vinyl was easy since i was doing such a small section. i've played around trying to wrap more complex objects before and not had much success.

IMG_7480.JPG

that's it - other than fiddling with headlight alignment a bit more, i'll call this "front end refresh" project DONE!

IMG_7563.JPG

Very nice! Excellant workmanship, as always.

Great work!!!!

I have a question, how SiriusLED Dual Color White Amber work?

Have you got a video that explain this?

Great work!!!!

I have a question, how SiriusLED Dual Color White Amber work?

Have you got a video that explain this?

i don't have a video, but if you search youtube for "switchback led" you'll find plenty.

it's a 3157 bulb, so the base has 3 wires - a ground, 1 power for when it's working as a marker/running lamp, and 1 power for when it's blinking as a turn signal.

the WJ cuts the main power for the white when you turn on the blinker so then you just get amber-off-amber-off tye blinking. when you turn the blinker off it goes back to solid white on. some vehicles leave power on the white the whole time and you just get the added amber color too during blinking.

Very nice! Excellant workmanship, as always.

thanks!

some folks have asked me about the grille specifically and i realized that i glossed over that... probably because i made it over a year ago and it was sitting in the garage gathering dust till last week!

i ordered a 2004 Laredo grille of RockAuto or eBay, can't remember, but it was a bare black plastic (ready to paint) version. the 04 grille was a little different than the 99-03. it was supposed to be multiple parts that would separate easily according to this: http://www.wjjeeps.com/grilles/grille_type_c.jpg

for some reason i had to actually cut mine apart with a dremel - and i don't remember the exact way it worked out now. but i ended up with a rough inner edge after cutting all the slot area out. so i glued door edge protector moulding around this edge - which you can see below:

IMG_7635.JPG

as far as the mesh, i've used grilleguy.com before, but he sent me a sheet that arrived bent and when i requested a replacement he said he wasn't shipping any that large anymore and just gave me a refund instead... so off to Amazon where i got a 1/16" thick aluminum sheet with 1/4" round perforations in 3ft x 1ft size: http://amzn.to/1RF5gSx

i trimmed the aluminum with tin snips to the shape i needed so it would fit inside the back of the 04 grille surround. then i painted the surround and edge moulding using regular old Duplicolor spray touch-up paint (in Brilliant Black Pearl Chrysler color): http://amzn.to/1GDXXdA - i finished it with a couple coats of their clear coat.

i did the aluminum sheet on both sides with Krylon satin black to offset its appearance a little, and painted all the metal on the Jeep that would be behind it with a light coat of that satin as well.

IMG_7637.JPG

then i couldn't figure out how to attach the aluminum without any fasteners showing other than to glue it - so i ended up using a metric a$$-load of black RTV (nearly 2 full caulking tubes): http://amzn.to/20igT8a

IMG_7633.JPG

i had cut off any plastic studs or other shapes from the back of the 04 surround early on, except one lower piece that helps align it to the header panel. for that i just needed to cut a slot in the top for the aluminum to sit down inside:

IMG_7642.JPG

i'll just have to see how it holds up to trees smacking it on the trail and such, but it felt pretty solid with all that RTV and once it's on the Jeep it's sandwiched against the header panel underneath anyway - so i don't think it's going anywhere.

one more little tweak... i don't like how the original "shorty" bulbs i ordered for the corner marker lights look - they stick out a lot further than i expected and so the end-only light source on them is really noticeable too as different than the other running lights across the bottom:

IMG_7485.JPG

IMG_7490.JPG

i'm going to order these to replace them with to get a 360* spread: http://amzn.to/1P2Tkws

61wY7ZyxAFL._SL400_.jpg