Sign in to follow this  
CAMartino

2000 XJ Engine Light on

Some time ago I got a check engine light.

I had the codes read and it said the shift solenoids might be bad.

Replaced the Solenoids but no luck.

Took the vehicle to an shop to have it looked at and they said the Transmission was bad.

Had them replace the Transmission.. (Got scalped on that deal as I was in the Middle East and had to have my wife deal with it. Not her fault! Just the way it goes.)

Still no good!

Now the code says something to do with the Torque Converter Lock up.

Decide to replace the Transmission Control Unit. (Which by the way the Shop that replaced the Transmission assured me that my vehicle did not have)

The check engine light went out for several days and then came back on. Same Torque Converter Code.

>Now I'm wondering<

Could the fact that I have larger tires and thus incorrect speed readings be causing the computer to not allow (or not allow) the torque converter to lock up properly or something alone those lines? If so, Might correcting the speed discrepancy, by way of a Programmer, also fix my problem?

Or am I looking at this all wrong?

By the way I'm currently in Afghanistan so I may not get right back if you post a reply.

Thanks!!!

what exact codes are you getting?

i wonder if they put all new electronics in your "new" transmission or re-used parts form yours?

could be a wiring issue... not sure if you have 2 speed sensors in your trans or not, but the pigtail on the front speed sensor on my WJ's trans runs in such a way as it can easily chafe and create an intermittent short or open condition - so much so that they sell a pigtail replacement splice-in kit at the dealer. anyway, you might have an open or short in any of the many wires going to the solenoid, speed sensors, or pressure transducer.

and thank you for your service!

P0743

It's an AW-4 (4x4)

I believe? it only has one Speed Sensor....

PS

The vehicle runs great.....

I had the same codes when I put the 456 gears in my 2001 wrangler . I ended up replacing the speedometer drive sensor with the correct one for that gearing and tire size . I had 33" tires at that time . Once I did that the error codes went away. Hope that helps!