Sign in to follow this  
defectivemonk

Black Canyon City Overlook - 11/28/2015

I am curious, what made you decide to veer left off of the main tracks? Just trying the ditch on for size?

Allen

Ha ha...yes, he was checking out the ditch! It made us all smile!

smiles, ladybug

i found a hole!

What the what? I can't wait to hear this story.

Thanks to ORP for another fun run. This was a beautiful scenic trip. That "hole" Ksmith found was super deep. The photos don't do it justice. If mother nature keeps working on the trail it will be impassable soon.

Here are my pictures from the trip. https://picasaweb.google.com/110968346826086888564/20151128BlackCanyon?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCIrUs4GhurHPbQ&feat=directlink

Video of the recovery: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/d0nyxD4aVaeG7Sf37d6lKfhpwEIW1uY2XR5S5s9ifJk?feat=directlink

You can tell how deep it was on the video though. Glad everything turned out good.

What the what? I can't wait to hear this story.

You can tell how deep it was on the video though. Glad everything turned out good.

actually you can't see the real extent of the hole in the video, on the driver's side it was at least 12 feet deep.

unfortunately there's no really good story. we were driving uphill into the sunset on an area that had several washouts - i forgot about that one and came to it right as the sun hit my dusty windshield and i couldn't see anything but hood. the area is shady in the video, but that was a good 15 minutes after i found the hole and everyone had gotten their wisecracks in ;)

the only real lesson here is to not get overconfident even on an "easy" trail - i was clipping along at a pretty good pace to get us out before dark. i should have come to a complete stop to adjust my visor or even gotten out to check the trail, instead i kinda rolled along with foot off the gas while waiting to see again and then suddenly i was at a dead stop.

i also probably could have backed out of it on my own with the lockers on, but i couldn't get out to asses the situation so i asked for a tow strap to be safe.

the metal on the right side below the headlight got crunched a little, but i'll beat it back out. it's just good i had my foot off the gas - any harder of a hit and i would have probably deployed airbags! nothing major injured but pride and i have some funny pictures now!

so that's what happens when you let the 3 Chris' get together!

23436458505_ad70109204_k.jpgPB280737.JPG

IMG_7812.JPG

That was one big a$$ ditch! Glad everything turned out ok!