Sign in to follow this  
dzJeepChic

Props to Superchips

We bought a Superchips Trail Dash programmer for our '07 JK Rubicon from a guy on craigslist. We purchased it several weeks ago and finally got around to the install over the weekend. When the installation failed because the programmer said it still belonged to another vehicle, my first reaction was to think that we had been ripped off by some random guy on craigslist!

But George called him, and luckily he's a fellow Jeeper who had legitimately de-programmed his Jeep before selling it. He called Superchips today on our behalf and explained the situation. He texted some information to us explaining Superchips said sometimes the units 'lock up' after de-programming, and told us to call them. (A little background here in case you're not familiar with Superchips programmers; if you want to sell yours, you have to de-program your vehicle first, to prevent multiple vehicles being tuned by a single programmer, for obvious reasons.)

So I called Superchips and talked to their tech guy. He basically seemed like he was waiting for me to call, and had me download their 'Fusion' software. Then he stepped me through re-initiating my unit. Everything went well and then he even sent the latest updates to the unit software.

Then I installed the Trail Dash to the JK without issues this afternoon; and although I still have a few things to learn about the functionality of the unit itself, I'm grateful I don't have a new $200 piece of trash. :)

Way to run a business Superchips!

I have been using the TrailDash for 5 years now and love it. I had to do the same thing when I switched it from my 2010 to the 2014. SuperChips was very helpful and only took a few minutes to unlock it from the 2010.

great to hear!

Let my know what you think please, I've been thinking about getting a programmer.

I had mine for less than a year, and had a mixed experience with it:

Minuses:

- I've given up in having it turn off my TPMS (low tire pressure) sensor. I've set and reset the config to no avail.

- I had to send it back to Superchips after the unit locked up after a software upgrade.

- I used it successfully (via the ECM connectors) to read my cooling temps (radiator and trans), as well as controlling two additional fan banks that I've added last year. It all worked perfect, until it didn't. Both the sensors and the relays stopped working mysteriously.

- The ECM cables are prohibitively expensive.

Pluses:

- Except for the TPMS and the trouble with the ECM sensor readers, the unit works as advertised and is quite user friendly.

- Allows control for Jeep specific settings.

- Good customer support. No Indians here - Utah based support.

Overall Impression:

- Except for the Jeep specific settings, most functions could be done via tablet (Android or iOS). However, the TrailDash is friendlier to use, requires no separate power-on, no clicking on a icon, and has a surprisingly readable screen even in the AZ sun.

- When the ECM modules are working (I didn't give up on them just yet), it provides a very nifty way of controlling various relays and reading sensors.

Good luck with your decision. BTW, Superchips has a newer version now, with a larger screen and newer layouts.

Thumbs up with Superchips not only they sell good products, but also after sales very reliable.

Thumbs up with Superchips not only they sell good products, but also after sales very reliable.

Agreed! I got my sensors working by having Superchips send me free replacements. Kudos to them.