theksmith

Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon (Gadget)

I've got that same engine hoist, bought it to move my spare engines/transmissions when I moved here.  Its come in handy several times since, but even folded it takes up space.

• Like 2

Just now, Curly said:

I've got that same engine hoist, bought it to move my spare engines/transmissions when I moved here.  Its come in handy several times since, but even folded it takes up space.

i had one many years ago and sold it when i moved, then had to borrow one to do the engine in my WJ... figured it was time to own one again. not sure exactly where i'll be storing it yet though! ;)

• Like 2

well i did manage to extract the old engine on Friday...

ABLVV85ReT583EUluWWsfX_Yl5JCniNK2ElyC_LQ

ABLVV84RwDTg0nHeSEUFCPFBy4K5g9nzf5N2SrQr

yes, those are 2x4's supporting the axle. no, it's not a great idea to support a vehicle with wood. just don't get under it while doing so!

had a couple bummers while doing this. found that the driver's side motor mount is pretty trashed. passenger side not horrible, but might as well do them both i guess. a set of Mopar ones is $500, which is ridiculous, IMO. so i went aftermarket on those for $190.

second issue was as soon as i moved the a/c compressor, one of the rubber lines sprung a leak and started spewing all the 1234YF refrigerant out. one of the reasons i didn't remove the front clip was so i wouldn't need to have the a/c system evacuated and then re-charged. but now i need a new line AND will need to have it filled. at least it was the shorter/cheaper discharge line that leaked - Mopar part # 68214489AB. 

• Like 3

I have 4 Jack stands if you need them.

Mike

• Thanks 1

Is that a store bought or custom lifting strap?

5 hours ago, mbuckner said:

I have 4 Jack stands if you need them.

Mike

thanks Mike! i do have jack stands of various sizes, i just had to get everything lower than any of them could - that was the reason for using the 2x4's.

4 hours ago, Curly said:

Is that a store bought or custom lifting strap?

it's just a 6' x 1" Keeper brand sling from Amazon (it is rated for overhead lifting): https://amzn.to/3OKGdnD

Kris,

Just a clarification...   From a compressive strength standpoint, wood is a fine material for a vehicle support, provided (just like steel jack stands) it has a sufficiently wide base to help prevent it from tipping, should side loading be encountered.

I have several wood blocks, which I utilize for vehicle support, copied from the ones we used @ work.

• Like 4

Sunday was spent swapping everything over to the reman engine, including plenty of time cleaning parts. 

this "abrasive filament" die grinder cup works well to remove RTV after an initial scraping. i use carb/choke cleaner rather than brake cleaner for a final wipe-down as it seems to be less harsh on any surrounding plastic parts.

ABLVV85vM2xnCwqV3AIAz2Dj_KfYjiYX8kReeQgm

it's a good idea to check all the block bolt holes before putting the engine back in. sometimes a few will get gunked up during the reman engine cleaning process and it's a lot easier to fix them up with a tap before anything is back in the engine bay. i had one motor mount bolt hole and this bellhousing mounting hole that needed a little love.

ABLVV84tGvkyGXAcLvxYj9fYAW-XthW63uC0VeKM

i'm just waiting on my new engine mounts, there was a delay in shipping but hopefully they show up today. as far as the reman engine, it's all put together now except the rear main seal and flexplate which i can do once it's off the stand and on the hoist.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 7

Amazon shipping apparently lost my new motor mounts! the replacements are supposed to arrive Saturday. :(

i took a few minutes yesterday to clean up the OEM wiring harness. all of the loom had cracked off - i guess due to heat, time, and having moved it around to work on the top-end so many times before.

ABLVV86-kfRoyV_XavT27Gbsh2vVz3yMCofjBGLY

i re-wrapped all the exposed wire sections with Tesa 51036 tape.

ABLVV86ubW7YZp3heVkWJvkTzeAD6msXquFWb2xJ

• Like 5

well the "lost" motor mounts decided to show up late last night!

i was able to get the engine in and put everything mostly back together today. probably need a couple more hours in the morning to wrap up and then hopefully it runs!

ABLVV87ue79yRLhRtYEL7Ca3HYKWhstHsiA8uVBq

• Like 5
  • Wow 4