theksmith

Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon (Gadget)

Gadget is alive again!

ABLVV86WGo-BgIpPeZVGFA0SXmuLj7JN1mz8Blpr

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

10 minutes ago, theksmith said:

Gadget is alive again!

ABLVV86WGo-BgIpPeZVGFA0SXmuLj7JN1mz8Blpr

Congrats man! How’s she running?

20 hours ago, 4x4tographer said:

Congrats man! How’s she running?

well, after several test drives - nothing is spewing or burning, so i guess good? ;)

i noticed 2 differences right away... first, it doesn't rattle like crazy on startup for a few seconds anymore! not sure what that was about. i didn't find any sloppy rocker arms in the old engine. i read somewhere it might have been the timing chain until the hydraulic tensioners came up to pressure?

second, there's a bit more vibration now in cab. i don't know if that is because the motor mounts are just new or because i went with a random brand instead of OEM. it's not horrible, i'd still choose some vibes over the additional $300 for the OEM mounts in an offroad rig.

oh and seems like it fires up slightly faster. it's not like the old one cranked for a long time, but the new one just seems to start a split second faster.

otherwise there's no noticeable difference in power that i can tell. i mean the old engine seemed to run OK too, it was just a time bomb.

• Like 7

Yayyyy! 🥳

• Like 1

Cool Beans Kristoffer...      &    Happy B-Day Sir-"K-Dude"...   ;)

• Thanks 1

Happy Birthday theK 🎂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

the new engine still seems to run well. however, i have a couple intermittent codes triggering the check-engine light...

one is a P0369 - which is missing signal from one of the camshaft position sensors. from my research, the actual root problem could be electronic or mechanical. the 2 times this triggered the MIL were during extended freeway driving. i re-seated the connector on the sensor and looked/felt around all the engine wiring harness and plugs. i did my first oil-change on the reman engine because that code might also be caused by issues with the cam phasers, which can be finicky about oil viscosity. the oil was really dirty and brown - based on that i'll probably do another early oil change before going to regular intervals. i'm still waiting to see if this code comes back before replacing the sensor.

the other code is a P0430 - which indicates one of the catalytic converters not operating at correct efficiency. Joe at On Point suggested i run the Jeep hard up the freeway to Sunset Point to get the cats really hot and hopefully cook off the coolant that had been dumped on them by the previous engine. i've done that once but the code came back eventually. i'm going to try it again and also run a bottle of CataClean through the system. i have no idea if that cleaner works, but for $25 i'll try it before replacing O2 sensors or the actual $1,400 cat!

i've also been concerned if the Jeep is still running warm. most of the time coolant temps stay around 205* on the freeway and maybe 215* or less with stop and go street driving. however, it randomly still spikes up into the 220's and even occasionally hits 230 on the street. it never seem to go over 230 because the fan kicks up a notch and cools it right down. i honestly am not sure if this is totally normal for the 3.6L and i've just never watched it like a hawk before under normal conditions. i do remember that even when the Jeep was new, it was not uncommon to see it in the 220's and even go above 230* on a long hill climb - but i don't recall see it hit 230* randomly in cool weather just driving around town. most of the cooling system is new or less than a year old and 95% OEM parts, so i'm not sure what to do about this other than see how it acts when summer temps come.

besides all that ongoing troubleshooting, i finally sanded down and started re-painting my front fender flares. the clearcoat was peeling badly just like the rear ones.

AP1GczPL9zETh3ngSqir_5mIbGvPLkIsEthaiH12

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3

That was the same code I used to fight. Checked wires, sensor, tighten the screws on the back of the cam valves (whatever are called, but according to some forums those were causing problems for some), everything. The code only came on once in a blue moon, the Jeep went in limp mode, had to clear the DTC, and all would be normal.

In the end I think that it was all due to the AMOIL viscosity I was using. I forgot what grade it was, it was whatever their site recommend, but it was different than the OEM rec. Once I switch to OEM spec and MobileONE never had that code again. 

image.thumb.png.63b74b4b6ec828a8488328a5cd0b2adc.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

finished repainting the front flares and got them back on in time for Sunday's Terminator Run. not as good of a job as on the rears, i didn't feel like sanding them down as far and then had to rush on the clearcoat a bit too. they still look much better than they did with the peeling clearcoat!

before repainting:

ADCreHf4nLVhMeoRTVRf--3V2W3yQXYfNZA_h6-L

after:

AP1GczNKO8Hk50ltLOnkFuIcj9HHrZiYY65zHNbw

AP1GczPw4mqQQw0Q1cmCCLh_bMkdp8UvHua8PCXh

the rears have been getting some chips even through the PPF. i'm sure the film is helping, but it's a bummer to see how much damage is still occuring.

AP1GczNKKTk16SXNr7FH14CA2nUE4pr9FF92NYiL

AP1GczNOJEd9J0atGi4o-tijU1IWGsh-a1-SG7V8

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2

AP1GczPTPiaMnDnwEKrnt3n7Bk36ZPIyOiwsy-wH

• Love 1