theksmith

Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon (Gadget)

Posted (edited)

this evening's project was replacing the driver seat bottom cushion (Mopar part #68194641aa, about $230). 

my old repair (done back in 2019) was still holding the original foam together, but the side bolster i patched in eventually got soft and smooshed just like the OEM. the whole cushion had my butt pressing it down for nearly 170k miles now, so it was time to just do a full replacement.

the original foam showing my old fixes:

AP1GczMuQ-boinZ7Dzj1-gnPkDWhMTArQTkAV8hp

the new one is a different color of foam and seems springier than i remember the original ever being. 

i used 3M Super 90 spray adhesive (basicly a contact cement) to attach the original heating element to the new foam.

AP1GczNr5mPGGIlMPjBUn-g1NYSHchzur0r4UBgF

the leather above the side bolster had started to fold over and crease, but was still holding together...

AP1GczOckfs6bo2UCH8fQS2c8UpaQ8DpG5kqaK4L

i reinforced it on the back side with some old t-shirt fabric and more 3M spray adhesive (the red), my first attempt to stiffen up the side (blue) is still holding strong.

AP1GczOwSu0RNiAKNDpc95NeDLUDF58WApXyzGlR

this whole project took about 30 minutes and besides sockets/wrenches, it only requires some decent side cutters, hog ring pliers, and a few new hog rings.

all back together with a stiff outside bolster and i don't sink down in the cushion as much anymore. there's a nice firm but springy feel to it.

AP1GczMJOlmtSA8tklzleKTLNv5Q9hME-5r1y_0R

in the photo above, you can see the front outer corner of the leather is worn near the seam quite a bit. i'm sure i'll have to replace the whole lower cover before too long. hoping to get a couple more years out of it though.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)

so i pulled a bonehead move - i didn't check my brake pads often enough (they don't have squealers) and destroyed the front passenger rotor!

AP1GczOtkt2SRwsoZMkN8DJld1YEgxzoBT5gz_ZZ

interestingly, the driver side still had quite a bit of pad left. Teraflex said that meant i didn't have them bled well enough. i.e. there was still air in the driver side somewhere preventing it from pressing as hard and therefore it didn't wear out as fast.

AP1GczMvIO1ht5ipZWJ_mWTAMytV-q_9s04ex4U3

this morning i replaced that rotor and all the front pads. then bled everything normally, followed by the ABS bleed procedure multiple times (using the OBDJscan app), then did a regular bleed a few more times. hopefully i got all the air out this time.

also, FYI, the front pads for the Teraflex Big Brake kit are the same as a 2006-2010 Dakota or Ram 1500. i ended up getting Bosch pads next day on Amazon Prime because the Teraflex ones were going to take till next week (not to mention the TF are 3 times the cost). i was not able to find any brand with squealers for this application!

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 3

Cuanto for the rotor & what brand did you get?

I disagree w/Teraflex.  I think you have a stuck caliper.  They are designed to "float" when the brakes are released.  applying the brake causes the caliper piston to move towards the disc applying the inner pad,  The caliper then moves backwards bringing the outer pad into contact with the rotor. (Equal/opposite reaction).  When the brakes are released, slight lateral of the rotor pushes the caliper away as well as the disc piston seal relaxing which retracts the inner pad.

Chances are the caliper slide surface on the knuckle is dirty or possibly worn, same for the caliper itself.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Curly said:

I disagree w/Teraflex.  I think you have a stuck caliper.  They are designed to "float" when the brakes are released.  applying the brake causes the caliper piston to move towards the disc applying the inner pad,  The caliper then moves backwards bringing the outer pad into contact with the rotor. (Equal/opposite reaction).  When the brakes are released, slight lateral of the rotor pushes the caliper away as well as the disc piston seal relaxing which retracts the inner pad.

Chances are the caliper slide surface on the knuckle is dirty or possibly worn, same for the caliper itself.

that was my first thought when i saw the rotor - however the caliper seemed to float ok, it moved on the slide pins freely. also, compressing the actual pistons to make room for the new pads required the same force on both driver and passenger side (using a c-clamp).

the only other thing i could think was that a clip got loose and was somehow wedged in there. by the time i took it apart, it was missing one clip and one was severly mangled - but obviously the pad had traveled further than it was ever designed to at that point.

i'll check them often over the next little bit and see if there is any indication of that side starting to wear faster again. i guess i could check temps on both sides after driving a bit and see if that side is getting hotter (i.e. dragging).

15 hours ago, dzJeepChic said:

Cuanto for the rotor & what brand did you get?

as far as i know the rotors in this big brake kit are custom and only available from Teraflex. it was $160 with tax & shipping.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2

an early morning stroll in the desert before work

AP1GczMLtphw2q08K4CZCLdRHW5XBobmby7fmIjs

• Like 3

VERY nice shot man

• Thanks 1