theksmith

Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon (Gadget)

Nice to know the vents worked out. Now I may need to copy your design.

What are your build plans for the jku? What would you do with an endless budget and what is the realistic plan?

What are your build plans for the jku? What would you do with an endless budget and what is the realistic plan?

with an unlimited budget - i'd buy a daily driver (maybe a Grand Cherokee SRT Night, or well sh!t how about a Hellcat or Ford GT since we're dreaming here!)... then i'd build the JKUR into a trail monster that was still somewhat decent on the street (AEV V8 swap, 40's, coil-overs at about 5" of lift, hydro assist, etc.)... and i'd get a 4 door truck for mild expeditions, probably an AEV Prospector XL (Dodge Ram) or maybe even a Ford Raptor (add a camper shell, custom bumpers/rack, mild lift, etc.)... and i'd probably want some sort of giant motor coach that could easily tow the JK or the truck of course.

Standard_Bumper.jpg

my slightly more realistic hopes (;)) are to one day have 37s with flat fenders and about a 3.5" lift, all the powertrain upgrades needed to run the 37s without a big chance of breaking anything, and the typical armor upgrades.

what's up in the air is the route to get there. i wanted to keep her like she is now for a while, save, and then plop down for most of the 37s route all at once. however, i'm already getting a little itchy with the look of it and wanting wheels/tires. the factory tires are also really noisy (even rotating them every 5k) so i may end up with some 33s, trimmed fenders, and new wheels around middle of next year.

truck-wheels-rims-black-rhino-revolution-6-lug-matte-black-lay-700.jpg

with the Rubicon lockers and tires, and the 2.5" budget boost, it's already very capable for moderate trails (up to a 3 out of 5). but that's a hard limit to get used to!

the immediate wishlist is:

- a fast hard mount compressor

- either a roof rack or tire carrier so i can carry extra fuel safely (both will be eventual upgrades anyway)

- frame mounted rock rails

41ZlRXVGpXL.jpg

smaller things like the sleeping platform and rock lights are also a priority, but more dictated by my availability to tinker than by budget.

it looks like the tire carrier is actually happening next simply because a friend is giving me a deal on a Teraflex HD carrier. there's a mount available to attach a Rotopax can, and it's a good upgrade to have for the eventual larger tires as well.

71tH6UDep4L._SL800_.jpg

my slightly more realistic hopes (;)) are to one day have 37s with flat fenders and about a 3.5" lift, all the powertrain upgrades needed to run the 37s without a big chance of breaking anything, and the typical armor upgrades.

002.jpg

drop that one an 1"+, give it a rack, some better sliders and a low profile winch and it's pretty close to what i've got in mind.

Love it!

bookmarking this here so i don't keep forgetting their name... for roof rack i'll probably go with the Maximus-3 long rack one day (no ladder, no side rails, just the simple platform): https://maximus-3.com/home/maximus-3-roof-rack-long-platform

it appears to be the exact same as the AEV roof rack, but in all black.

both kits are using the Pioneer Platform from Rhino Rack, so i'm guessing that Maximus-3 is making the brackets for AEV and themselves. i can buy that platform from Amazon for much cheaper than either entire kit, with free shipping (Amazon Prime) - if i wanted to try and make my own brackets?!?

update - improved the my little rear hanging storage drawer sunday evening: https://offroadpassport.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45723&postcount=14

also, a Jeep in the Line-X booth at SEMA was running the same wheels i'm considering for my rig - what does everyone think of these:

tFBPa3rPqG5rZjTe6APNxE3D1jfp4fRyN7OA7KvRudYXLKVDGjd6gyo4ATKgtRhx_3JJKBO4QT_sLR5G74H1S1g4Fxk_SfF7RQ6T50M23C6vK-ciFDWTNk9UZUWyra7dAlUY8j2dTrELt3SmBcfkiRPKE4PEa3yLS_oyrwPmZWiE4A5CUGeNAB_SdsFkJkaWlvuCEsPBqT9nEHVEEa2_JOJryTXOl-UMuR5CLS0gAC7-rQNKszYWuIHXJxLP-t-rddwu90rj83xWhO9fr1d59RzvB6AkEA0wkQjz40Z2wttxlJFBcRORAx14QP7elC1Wy6DowIAwwo7n4MuwEMwkQoDXIWOHKaRtMwqtBzXjQAl6d5ref42PcdCJ0fMlsirC4q3qHpZwL2Sd3T44wj0_BDBVW2KncgdgB87T09uHH8uY1yd0llKi_HkKjgxanl7HLqsGIFZLVV2w7uRwdoLGK0uQagA4czmc9NNzAgMLt2m9-h2P6KoYEJs9iS2xdoeJNJVjHm44gC1QesRR9LPJTQL8P-JoRPkasD05s_yuc1iCSF_dKJPfuARhWxTBEqfJUNLnm7NRR67lTC6XLUDfV-v7iyxQb5_kp71cwLdgM64y43l8=w1680-h945-no

this rig has a better view of them, but they are 20s on here - i'd stick with 17s:

IMG_4574.jpg