theksmith

Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon (Gadget)

i thought the Jeep was possessed for a moment this afternoon - went to get in and it made a horrible clicking/popping noise for a couple seconds.

seems my blend door actuator is has stripped a few gear teeth. there are 3 actuators in the JK's climate system, so depending on where in the dash the noise is coming from tells you which one needs attention. failures with these actuators and the actual vent door mechanisms are pretty common. at least this one won't require removing the entire dash like on my WJ!

i couldn't find a good example of the noise in a JK, but it sounds exactly the same as the broken one in this Mustang... - @mynr1 is this what you were talking about at the Dirt Gala?

here's the best video i could find on how to get to this one particular actuator:

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, theksmith said:

i thought the Jeep was possessed for a moment this afternoon - went to get in and it made a horrible clicking/popping noise for a couple seconds.

seems my blend door actuator is has stripped a few gear teeth. there are 3 actuators in the JK's climate system, so depending on where in the dash the noise is coming from tells you which one needs attention. failures with these actuators and the actual vent door mechanisms are pretty common. at least this one won't require removing the entire dash like on my WJ!

i couldn't find a good example of the noise in a JK, but it sounds exactly the same as the broken one in this Mustang... - @mynr1 is this what you were talking about at the Dirt Gala?

here's the best video i could find on how to get to this one particular actuator:

I had the same issue on the passenger side last year.  It is an obnoxious noise at best and does in fact sound like the Jeep is possessed or something.

• Like 1

the part number for that blend door actuator is Mopar #68018109AA. it was a mild PITA to get to, but still took less than a hour from start to finish.

so much noise made by a single missing tooth!

ACtC-3d2emkiNO4BbVLaUDsJw9zqkaBeij4cMDku

Edited by theksmith
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

How hard was it to remove this part?

24 minutes ago, johnpa said:

How hard was it to remove this part?

there are 3 of these actuators in the JK, i think 2 are easily accessible by removing the glovebox. not sure if they are all the same part number or not but the blend door one is definitely #68018109AA. Mopar branded are $40 to $90, you can get a Dorman one much cheaper.

of course the one that went bad for me was under the steering column and getting to it was a slight PITA, but still a quick job. snapping the piece of duct-work back in took the most fiddling. 

getting the screws and bolts back in wasn't too bad even with the tight working conditions, i used a little piece of tape to hold them on the socket and screwdriver to get them started without dropping one.

the only tools required are a stubby phillips screwdriver, a 1/4" ratchet, 10mm and 8mm sockets, and a really long extension with a wobble end or a universal adapter.

watch that video i referenced, it shows the whole process.

do you think this is what was wrong with @mynr1's dash noise?

Edited by theksmith

That's exactly what mine is doing. I know there are two actuators behind the glove box & that's where my "clicking" is coming from. Can put my hand on the one that is left of glove door, make it click but don't feel anything. So guessing it's the one up behind the speaker which i can't reach. Jeep going to Joe's this week for suspected head gasket, will let him sort it out.  Al

On 1/18/2021 at 9:33 AM, mynr1 said:

That's exactly what mine is doing. I know there are two actuators behind the glove box & that's where my "clicking" is coming from. Can put my hand on the one that is left of glove door, make it click but don't feel anything. So guessing it's the one up behind the speaker which i can't reach. Jeep going to Joe's this week for suspected head gasket, will let him sort it out.  Al

oh man - sorry to hear you might have a major issue Al!

what are the symptoms? are you losing coolant, over-heating, white smoke, check-engine light?

commercial real estate cre GIF by thebrokerlist

Edited by dzJeepChic

i've had a love-hate relationship with my front camera... love the idea, especially when leading a trail that's new to me. but, so far it's been disappointing in real-world use.

i realized the problem might be that i've got it mounted so low that there's very little perspective on obstacles. everything was coming off as kind of "flat".

this was the previous camera and mounting spot, below my winch fairlead.

ACtC-3eA6O1KKm4W4XpVQvqvhz-NpD2hCiMZSKdP

i decided to try placing it higher, even though that would mess with the front aesthetic. 😱

to try and minimize the appearance, i switched to the smallest "bullet" style camera i could find with decent ratings.

ACtC-3dM6pkvR3_iBZ4yyPCbOkS5smpF5FpK4W35

it's not too obnoxious looking from afar.

ACtC-3f741ifJFkp96MKdYYuxyuWShnjZ8GjXrjP

however, it definitely has a lower resolution than the previous camera.

on a quick test, having it mounted higher does seem to help with judging distance and size of objects. i think i want to try a better quality camera though. i'll test it out more on this weekend's trip, so stay tuned.

ACtC-3ccTNhWIfFF6MmaivavFTuboIJ-Fl00um27

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, theksmith said:

i decided to try placing it higher, even though that would mess with the front aesthetic. 😱

to try and minimize the appearance, i switched to the smallest "bullet" style camera i could find with decent ratings.

ACtC-3dM6pkvR3_iBZ4yyPCbOkS5smpF5FpK4W35

I've seen some people mount theirs behind the grill itself, cutting a slightly larger hole and adding a rubber grommet to clean up the look. 

Something like this little baby might snap into one of those grill holes and sit flush with a little widening. The camera angle looks adjustable.

Could be worse, it could be the size of the Gladiator trail cam! 😵

2020-jeep-gladiator-1-jpg.114674

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Kris sorry for the late reply. Tons of white smoke, overheated, stone cold radiator & no PSI but full, empty coolant recovery, coolant looked like a milk shake.

Oil stick looked clean, tranny looked OK . Definitely over heated & lost some coolant. Also suspect, water pump & thermostat. So looks like I have many options to look at for a diagnose to this problem.

So I'm throwing it into Joe's lap. Trailering jeep over to Joe's tomorrow with John's trailer. Will let you know what Joe finds. Thx  Al

• Sad 3