theksmith

Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon (Gadget)

Looking good! Those Ignites are surprisingly bright for their compact size. I honestly never noticed the pair you had on Gadget until you flipped them on during a night run.

• Like 1

Your 3 part animation is the best light comparison I’ve ever seen.

You should think about getting into the IT field. 😄😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

ran across this photo @kaspily took of Gadget on Turkey Creek trail a couple months ago - did some stylizing and i like how it came out:

IB00siHwLw2ab2vL1Hc44oz02uvoL9wJskvm08sv

• Like 3

a tiny upgrade...

soon after getting Gadget, i did a "delete" on the windshield fold-down-bumpers and footman-loop, just using painted bolts and washers to fill the holes.

6hOMjN9b_y7Hw6m_vfmM4y1NthBtWu23k1xTbxcb

then at some point i upgraded to a pair of Vector Offroad Hood UFO's for the larger holes.

well i was on the Vector Offroad site again recently and noticed they had a mini version for the smaller holes now... so i bought a pair to replace the 2 other sad little bolt heads. a quick couple spray coats to paint-match, and now there's one less thing to tingle my OCD spidey-senses.

AM-JKLUukj8i5HqaSWRUD-YKJuyI0lYt-0temTan

AM-JKLXDJfn6QpdpFCzsL03mKUSkVKBxjU_yQbY7

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

i noticed about a week ago that the front driver's door would sometimes not lock with the fob, then the past few days it started to happen more often than not.

manually locking/unlocking worked fine, so it seemed the linkage and mechanical aspects of the latch were OK. after double checking the main door harness plug was secure and not corroded, i went ahead and ordered a new latch. one thing worth noting, my quick research indicated that if 2 or more locks suddenly fail, it's often a problem inside the TIPM rather than the actuators.

on the JK, the electronic lock actuators are built into the latch assemblies and each door has a different part number. the driver side power door latch assembly is Mopar part #4589277AL and currently runs $150+. even the Dorman brand is $100+. given those prices and the fact that it's not a critical part, i decided to take my chances with a random brand from Amazon for $55. it seemed to work fine - one of the linkage clips was in the wrong hole when i received it, so i'm glad that i compared it to the original carefully before installing.

replacement wasn't difficult, but there are a ton of steps. this youtube video shows how to remove the trim panel. then this video shows all the other steps to get to the actuator/lock assembly. BE SURE you note the tricky part about unclipping the window before you try to remove that inner panel!

AM-JKLVqP07u7DUq7ZjxkKg5-hW6hbNlDp84Qwml

• Like 6

AM-JKLUzKma7KFPxBbrkP77JaeV4eMyTSwzkkKI2

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

some random updates and photos...

AM-JKLWpkKgfBkJNkL8HzL-uN_7nsZfN68kC_pR2

i like this one from the Cherry Creek run (taken by @4x4tographer) because i look focused and calm, almost like i have some idea what i'm doing!

AM-JKLWJxGJF8BQ7BtZG_qeqAvaQiBPq_4E569pj

i noticed one side of my rear window defogger had broken loose. interestingly, Jeep uses a button style connector instead of the quick-connect tab that nearly every other vehicle has. i was able to pry the broken button out of the wire's female housing and then reattach it just by melting the existing solder. if you don't have as soldering iron, this Permatex conductive adhesive works just fine too.

AM-JKLWiKK1xXIk8GKdfl-qWYHGB9NxCfuwgd9OP

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

i was out at the Boulders OHV area this weekend exploring and ran into some folks having their SxS rescued. in these photos it's already been winched about 2/3rds of the way back up from the ravine it had rolled down into:

AM-JKLUpkkBIN2oXe6ytpgulWrc1dzgVdU2wvhNy

i guess on Saturday the husband didn't get it into "park" correctly at the top of this little mountain, got out and it started rolling with his wife still in the passenger seat. she jumped out before it crested over the edge and was fine. it tumbled a few times and landed waaaaay down the steepest side of this hill.

AM-JKLX97ZnxafRqtHZabVTQuTMoqrgbGUbtts4d

they were able to start it but couldn't get it out because of how steep and loose the hill was. so they had left it overnight and hired some "professionals" to rescue it on Sunday, which i caught the tail end of. 

AM-JKLWWQZpTXxeFlzCSNmmU1ZNUZGilvT1LePDh

then later in the day, I got to do some desert wrenching - who wants to guess what this was all about?

AM-JKLV0ei_XQCIi9QChUWgsRKBX5SgruwZJ7yvv

AM-JKLWt1kvas_UVb_gsP9hcWf2SCfron2QfpK8V

• Like 2
  • Wow 4

Wow, what a day! Glad those people's sxs was okay, sure was a long way off the trail! 

What in the world happened to your driveshaft?