theksmith

Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon (Gadget)

Posted (edited)

Aimee got me 2 new Rigid Ignite Series (flood pattern) LED lights for christmas. i already had a pair in the diffused pattern, which work great to light up the sides of the trail near the Jeep. i wanted these new ones to fill in the front corners better between where the diffused ones and the headlights hit.

AM-JKLXRtTvKalIWlVEkIC08gk1jJ6NJZdSTlga6

i really like that the tiny size of these make for a somewhat stealth install.

AM-JKLWzzF7i8MkHv54ziLnPyVhacrW6HrZpQnDj

AM-JKLVJ5XEVWnT0ExnOACd1Dm_dCGkyZ1nnc3eG

a couple examples of what exactly these are lighting up below. shots on the left are headlights only, shots on the right are with the ditch & cornering lights on too.

AM-JKLXEB73UnLdGTdb8IEllY6OI8DrHYiZ21pkR AM-JKLU6ybLeQ9wlZGWRxu1unIWdinsRs316MQi1

AM-JKLUZQ5lr1wWLpha2CbQuuqE7K71FDcm2AtR1 AM-JKLXrgEdNAVZcHBJR9Cv9_dRzDA_IGJGHsMzP

in this animated overlay, frame #1 is low beams only, #2 adds the ditch & cornering lights, and #3 adds the high beams as well as my rock lights. i ended up pointing the new cornering lights slightly more forward after this test.

AM-JKLUJkMx6WPU9md2XRsSPySXedJ1YiAaWyqRg

FYI, the headlights are ProComp and the rock lights are custom wired 12v COB LED "DRL" strips.

i'm very content with both the pattern and total amount of light i have for the typical night wheeling situations i encounter.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 7

Looking good! Those Ignites are surprisingly bright for their compact size. I honestly never noticed the pair you had on Gadget until you flipped them on during a night run.

• Like 1

Your 3 part animation is the best light comparison I’ve ever seen.

You should think about getting into the IT field. 😄😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

ran across this photo @kaspily took of Gadget on Turkey Creek trail a couple months ago - did some stylizing and i like how it came out:

IB00siHwLw2ab2vL1Hc44oz02uvoL9wJskvm08sv

• Like 4

a tiny upgrade...

soon after getting Gadget, i did a "delete" on the windshield fold-down-bumpers and footman-loop, just using painted bolts and washers to fill the holes.

6hOMjN9b_y7Hw6m_vfmM4y1NthBtWu23k1xTbxcb

then at some point i upgraded to a pair of Vector Offroad Hood UFO's for the larger holes.

well i was on the Vector Offroad site again recently and noticed they had a mini version for the smaller holes now... so i bought a pair to replace the 2 other sad little bolt heads. a quick couple spray coats to paint-match, and now there's one less thing to tingle my OCD spidey-senses.

AM-JKLUukj8i5HqaSWRUD-YKJuyI0lYt-0temTan

AM-JKLXDJfn6QpdpFCzsL03mKUSkVKBxjU_yQbY7

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

I removed my bumper stops and used the existing holes as a corner/starting point to cut my hood for my louvers, 2 less holes I had to drill.  Forgot to mention I did that when I originally posted about the install. 

l.jpg.94fbd44e703d573898d30ea3729aab47.jpg

Edited by Trail Toy
  • Like 1

i noticed about a week ago that the front driver's door would sometimes not lock with the fob, then the past few days it started to happen more often than not.

manually locking/unlocking worked fine, so it seemed the linkage and mechanical aspects of the latch were OK. after double checking the main door harness plug was secure and not corroded, i went ahead and ordered a new latch. one thing worth noting, my quick research indicated that if 2 or more locks suddenly fail, it's often a problem inside the TIPM rather than the actuators.

on the JK, the electronic lock actuators are built into the latch assemblies and each door has a different part number. the driver side power door latch assembly is Mopar part #4589277AL and currently runs $150+. even the Dorman brand is $100+. given those prices and the fact that it's not a critical part, i decided to take my chances with a random brand from Amazon for $55. it seemed to work fine - one of the linkage clips was in the wrong hole when i received it, so i'm glad that i compared it to the original carefully before installing.

replacement wasn't difficult, but there are a ton of steps. this youtube video shows how to remove the trim panel. then this video shows all the other steps to get to the actuator/lock assembly. BE SURE you note the tricky part about unclipping the window before you try to remove that inner panel!

AM-JKLVqP07u7DUq7ZjxkKg5-hW6hbNlDp84Qwml

• Like 6

AM-JKLUzKma7KFPxBbrkP77JaeV4eMyTSwzkkKI2

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 3
  • Love 1