theksmith

Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon (Gadget)

some random updates and photos...

AM-JKLWpkKgfBkJNkL8HzL-uN_7nsZfN68kC_pR2

i like this one from the Cherry Creek run (taken by @4x4tographer) because i look focused and calm, almost like i have some idea what i'm doing!

AM-JKLWJxGJF8BQ7BtZG_qeqAvaQiBPq_4E569pj

i noticed one side of my rear window defogger had broken loose. interestingly, Jeep uses a button style connector instead of the quick-connect tab that nearly every other vehicle has. i was able to pry the broken button out of the wire's female housing and then reattach it just by melting the existing solder. if you don't have as soldering iron, this Permatex conductive adhesive works just fine too.

AM-JKLWiKK1xXIk8GKdfl-qWYHGB9NxCfuwgd9OP

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

i was out at the Boulders OHV area this weekend exploring and ran into some folks having their SxS rescued. in these photos it's already been winched about 2/3rds of the way back up from the ravine it had rolled down into:

AM-JKLUpkkBIN2oXe6ytpgulWrc1dzgVdU2wvhNy

i guess on Saturday the husband didn't get it into "park" correctly at the top of this little mountain, got out and it started rolling with his wife still in the passenger seat. she jumped out before it crested over the edge and was fine. it tumbled a few times and landed waaaaay down the steepest side of this hill.

AM-JKLX97ZnxafRqtHZabVTQuTMoqrgbGUbtts4d

they were able to start it but couldn't get it out because of how steep and loose the hill was. so they had left it overnight and hired some "professionals" to rescue it on Sunday, which i caught the tail end of. 

AM-JKLWWQZpTXxeFlzCSNmmU1ZNUZGilvT1LePDh

then later in the day, I got to do some desert wrenching - who wants to guess what this was all about?

AM-JKLV0ei_XQCIi9QChUWgsRKBX5SgruwZJ7yvv

AM-JKLWt1kvas_UVb_gsP9hcWf2SCfron2QfpK8V

• Like 2
  • Wow 4

Wow, what a day! Glad those people's sxs was okay, sure was a long way off the trail! 

What in the world happened to your driveshaft?

23 hours ago, dzJeepChic said:

What in the world happened to your driveshaft?

i started getting the tell-tale "angry sparrows" when i'd hit about 20mph on the trail. in my experience this is most often a dry double-cardan centering ball in one of the drive shafts, or sometimes a dry or bad u-joint. you can tell by the speed of the chirps whether it's in the DS or the front axle shafts - in my case sounded like a DS and i figured it was the front since that aftermarket shaft has been in for a couple years with over 30k miles on it.

pulling the entire front shaft on the trail is a PITA due to a couple of my skid plates, so i put it in 2wd and just unbolted the pinion end, then tied it up out of the way with a zip-tie and some bailing wire. the noise went away, so that confirmed it was indeed the front shaft and then i was able to get home without worrying about damaging it further running it dry at highway speeds.

once i got home and removed the DS, all the joints and the center still felt good (no play) and there was no evidence of spinning end caps, so i just greased the center and called it good. this 1350 front shaft does not have a grease-fitting on the center, but you can wedge a long needle tip between the boot/seal and the ball area in a few spots to grease it.

AM-JKLWXmj2BV-GpEDMaxwdAeprYJD1t4J4EdKCr

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

forgot to ever post this... late last year i bent my Clayton drag-link (from their flip kit) and so i swapped to a Synergy one. i already had that on my wishlist because i run the Synergy tie-rod and so now i only have to carry a single spare TRE that can work on all 4 ends.

after installing, i noticed it was just barely hitting the axle-end of my steering stabilizer (not Synergy's fault, i'm running a non-OEM stabilizer setup). i was able to adjust each TRE to center the bar better and now it's all good.

AM-JKLUBLbE2n3XBxKX97No04bcFvKK2OQozCKMn

yet another flex test after getting it all dialed in:

AM-JKLVtAKzy3kA7LKfaSRNzAuoS62q9aHC0Rlze

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

photo of a very dusty Gadget from the Ruby Wash run (shot by @4x4tographer)...

AM-JKLVBCIPI8WjUt_35jMclUwWmQ_vV_ar_tSJt

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

a couple months ago i started getting an intermittent squeak coming from the engine bay and soon found all 3 idler pulleys needed replacing (part #4627039aa).

i had changed out the 2 easy ones at around 65k miles, so now with 130k on the clock it was time again. i highly recommend everyone carry an extra idler and serpentine belt as your first spare parts, even on a newer rig. constant trail dust (or mud) simply kills the bearings in these little guys pretty fast.

i bought a new tensioner assembly (part #4627038aa) in order to replace the third idler that supposedly isn't serviceable separately. after taking off the old assembly, i got a better look, and it turns out you can just pop a plastic cap off the pulley to expose a large T-50 torx bolt, and then that pulley appears to be exactly the same as the other 2! i did have to use an impact to get that pulley bolt out - it seemed to have some white threadlocker on it from the factory. 

AM-JKLVUIu_W4GQjIJBls5ylFduccf-JjGogzzou

i also noticed the A/C pulley was making sort of a "rattle" when the clutch engaged, and i eventually determined that bearing was sloppy as well.

i was doing all this just before our Red Creek trip and a new Mopar pulley/hub/bearing kit (part #68143610ab) was not going to be available in time. so i ordered just a replacement bearing. the bearing is 30mm x 52mm x 22 mm and can be found under a bunch of part numbers, such as 30BD5222A6 for this NSK.

the old bearing is sort of crimped in, but you can press it out with a large socket and vice or even a hammer.

AM-JKLVOTcTmZiusSrl8eOKs2aA-UtWaZSm0R7Mw

this got me a nice clean spinning pulley... but i had unknowingly dropped one of the A/C clutch spacers, so the air gap was no longer even close to correct. then, in the process of trying to get it adjusted with some thin washers i had, i accidentally burned up/cracked what i assume is a friction material ring on the pulley. doh!

AM-JKLUvsMEvPYuCxgPoiqwXjyuzBLvuhhuLqdNK

i later learned that even though they don't list it for this application, Napa and Autozone both carry a compressor clutch install kit with a few spacers and a new bolt that will work (Santech part #MT0986). i'd recommend if you change the bearing, you have a set of feeler gauges and get that install kit because the bearing may be slightly different (even if you don't lose a spacer), and getting the air gap correct is important.

so after all that - i ended up getting a whole kit from acclutches.com that came with a new hub/pulley/bearing, clutch plate, clutch coil, spacers, snap rings, and end bolt. so it replaces everything that can fail besides the actual compressor itself, uses a genuine NSK bearing, and included good DIY instructions all for under $120.

AM-JKLXqVf3Ig-aXucLRPGGP12tQFB8ikWkD7ZC0

and finally, i of course replaced the serpentine belt while i was in there (part #4627043aa).

what started out as a little squeak turned into a few hundred dollars, a weekend trip without A/C, and several days messing around in the engine bay!

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2
  • Wow 2

Posted (edited)

a quick mini-mod...

i started using my longer ham antenna again recently after realizing how much the stubby one i had was limiting reception. it doesn't fit in the garage though... so i made a little line i can hook onto it, which bends it over enough to fit. grabbing the line is just faster/easier than unscrewing the antenna after each run.

AM-JKLVftJp95Hx0sxVlruswfR7w7xHR7i2TzgIW

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

the driver's side of my lovely 3.6L started ticking last weekend on our Mammoth area trip:(

Joe at On Point Performance & Offroad replaced all the rockers/lifters on the passenger side just over a year ago for me. however, he's booked up for a month and a half right now, so i'm going to tackle this side myself.

it cost around $300 in parts/tools to do this side:

i did the spark plugs not too long ago, so i don't think there's anything else i need to change "while i'm in there".

i'll probably work on it Sunday and will be using the videos from MotorCity Mechanic on Youtube as a reference: Part 1... and Part 2...

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2
  • Wow 2

1 hour ago, theksmith said:

i'll probably work on it Sunday and will be using the videos from MotorCity Mechanic on Youtube as a reference: Part 1... and Part 2...

That's a huge project, good luck with this!

• Like 2