theksmith

Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon (Gadget)

Posted (edited)

this weekend i worked on installing a pair of Teraflex Heavy Duty Rear Falcon Brackets/Skids. i previously had some EVO weld on control-arm skids that were hacked up to fit the lighter duty Falcon bolt-on skids. the new HD brackets can be installed at factory height or 2 higher positions, and this was the main reason for the switch...

after getting my bump-stops dialed in for 37's and to keep the rear pinion out of my gas tank skid, i ended up with some unused up-travel on the rear shocks. raising the axle mounting points will give me a little more ground clearance and allow full use of the available travel (increase droop).

61KGztCCO+L._AC_SX679_.jpg

turns out this was a crappy job lying on the garage floor under the rig with a grinder in my face!

i needed to cut off all the existing shock and sway bar bracketry and shorten up the control arm mount as well. because of the limited space to work you i was shooting sparks right back at my head most of the time. a plasma cutter would have made this much faster and easier.

Sparks Fire Show GIF

here's the removed bolt-on skids and some of the metal that had to be cut-off:

AM-JKLWq1hfTdMbNpjh9vtXr0Si9wnx5B6W8384m

i got them installed good enough for a clearance test, but still have some work to do, including welding in place for long term abuse.

AM-JKLW6jKTQuch6rX1nn6cLJPSb_Kaq2LUU5NL7

using the second possible install position moves everything up nearly an inch. i did a hard hard romp run with the zip-tie test in place and confirmed the new location doesn't bottom out my shocks... i actually still have about a half inch of available travel at full bump-stop compression. that's not quite enough to move the brackets up to the next higher position though.

AM-JKLXbVKB23d8NP0yubquAccdDWGp_Vpol2ozW

i still need to do some cutting/shaping on the factory control arm brackets. these new ones have an integrated skid that is supposed to wrap upwards at the front (the need to still be bent along that cut-out line you see).

AM-JKLXeWScwLc09jOKxEIJZ3aOeg3j5yMj3w9rX

even though they increased clearance underneath, these stick in towards the center of the Jeep way further than required. i'm going to cut them off at the red line and then weld back in a vertical support to help reduce their "land anchor" status.

AM-JKLVZoMnyL3Dyj183cBdGWabIfRCBq0QMZmcM

hopefully i'll have time to finish this project later in the week...

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 6

On 5/23/2022 at 8:44 PM, theksmith said:

this weekend i worked on installing a pair of Teraflex Heavy Duty Rear Falcon Brackets/Skids. i previously had some EVO weld on control-arm skids that were hacked up to fit the lighter duty Falcon bolt-on skids. the new HD brackets can be installed at factory height or 2 higher positions, and this was the main reason for the switch...

after getting my bump-stops dialed in for 37's and to keep the rear pinion out of my gas tank skid, i ended up with some unused up-travel on the rear shocks. raising the axle mounting points will give me a little more ground clearance and allow full use of the available travel (increase droop).

61KGztCCO+L._AC_SX679_.jpg

turns out this was a crappy job lying on the garage floor under the rig with a grinder in my face!

i needed to cut off all the existing shock and sway bar bracketry and shorten up the control arm mount as well. because of the limited space to work you i was shooting sparks right back at my head most of the time. a plasma cutter would have made this much faster and easier.

Sparks Fire Show GIF

here's the removed bolt-on skids and some of the metal that had to be cut-off:

AM-JKLWq1hfTdMbNpjh9vtXr0Si9wnx5B6W8384m

i got them installed good enough for a clearance test, but still have some work to do, including welding in place for long term abuse.

AM-JKLW6jKTQuch6rX1nn6cLJPSb_Kaq2LUU5NL7

using the second possible install position moves everything up nearly an inch. i did a hard hard romp run with the zip-tie test in place and confirmed the new location doesn't bottom out my shocks... i actually still have about a half inch of available travel at full bump-stop compression. that's not quite enough to move the brackets up to the next higher position though.

AM-JKLXbVKB23d8NP0yubquAccdDWGp_Vpol2ozW

i still need to do some cutting/shaping on the factory control arm brackets. these new ones have an integrated skid that is supposed to wrap upwards at the front (the need to still be bent along that cut-out line you see).

AM-JKLXeWScwLc09jOKxEIJZ3aOeg3j5yMj3w9rX

even though they increased clearance underneath, these stick in towards the center of the Jeep way further than required. i'm going to cut them off at the red line and then weld back in a vertical support to help reduce their "land anchor" status.

AM-JKLVZoMnyL3Dyj183cBdGWabIfRCBq0QMZmcM

hopefully i'll have time to finish this project later in the week...

abrupt u-turn, i think i'm going to go a whole different direction with all this...

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

4 minutes ago, theksmith said:

abrupt u-turn, i think i'm going to go a whole different direction with all this...

You’re selling and buying a Bronco? 😜

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, 4x4tographer said:

You’re selling and buying a Bronco? 😜

No Way Smh GIF by Amazon Prime Video

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, theksmith said:

Does this "change of direction" surprise anyone??

8ab3d638a818bc1ad0ad69115a83dee3.jpg

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2022 at 6:52 PM, theksmith said:

i ended up doing a fair bit of booty-surgery on Gadget. i ditched the HD skids and with a little work was able to invert the shocks and use a different brand of lower relocation brackets.

write-up on all that is over here...

AM-JKLVxDINkRUW2ua8Fh0V7o7shI7RiNAtVYneZ

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

no turning back now!

AM-JKLUF9dQ-cJccT7g6xOW_4nq3UiXGcYUcekPH

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, theksmith said:

no turning back now!

AM-JKLUF9dQ-cJccT7g6xOW_4nq3UiXGcYUcekPH

BEEFY!! 🥩

didn't get very far today because #1 i got overheated out in the sun early on, so i came back inside till the driveway was in the shade - AZ summer-time yay! and #2 even the main part of this driver-side slider was bent, not just the hoop, so i had to weld just a little then pull it and the new metal together/flat with C-clamps and repeat several times.

AM-JKLVEQCpA47rCI39p4pDgliQiFV3LhZaz3BPa

• Like 2

8 hours ago, theksmith said:

didn't get very far today because #1 i got overheated out in the sun early on, so i came back inside till the driveway was in the shade - AZ summer-time yay! and #2 even the main part of this driver-side slider was bent, not just the hoop, so i had to weld just a little then pull it and the new metal together/flat with C-clamps and repeat several times.

AM-JKLVEQCpA47rCI39p4pDgliQiFV3LhZaz3BPa

Still looks like good progress man. Is the plan to completely eliminate the hoop and just replace it with that big beefy C-channel?

• Like 1