theksmith

Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon (Gadget)

Looks good Kris.  
I hear you on the heat chasing you indoors.  

It was tough to even work in the garage yesterday and I wasn’t welding. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 4x4tographer said:

Still looks like good progress man. Is the plan to completely eliminate the hoop and just replace it with that big beefy C-channel?

36 minutes ago, jgaz said:

Looks good Kris.  
I hear you on the heat chasing you indoors.  

It was tough to even work in the garage yesterday and I wasn’t welding. 

thanks guys!

yes, ditching the round hoop in favor of rectangular tube welded right up against the main strip. those old hoops were bent up pretty bad - and being so wide, they seemed to always drag really hard when rock crawling and getting even slightly off-camber on ledge obstacles. the new steel sits higher and doesn't protrude out as far.

i'm also adding a third mounting "leg" to tie into the Jeep's frame to hopefully prevent bending the whole contraption in the middle any further.

if i had to do it over, i'd seriously consider the body mounted sliders from JCR or Motobilt. they give you a fair bit more clearance, but seem beefy enough to not cave in the Jeep's sheet-metal on a hard hit. they are $1k+ though, versus $150 in materials to fix-up the ones i already have.

slppgpzsttpdev7plmof

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 4

made good progress on Sunday, almost done with the driver's side. hopefully the other side goes faster!

AM-JKLXVaWTVyUd8wrsfq-Hkiz9r-WWtZxDu2SuS

AM-JKLW9VTGqTpliQdNMzijZOWmEpfn1ULJ2-xyM

1/8" was the thickest i could get the 1.5" x 1" tube in, so i added a piece of 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/8" on the bottom-outside edge to double it up where it will get the most abuse.

AM-JKLWVnt9ZNoDmM68G4J22M8jtuh3yUebMpGP1

• Like 5

Looks pretty stout Kris.  ;)

Just curious...   What does a completed one weigh ?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, ob1jeeper said:

Looks pretty stout Kris.  ;)

Just curious...   What does a completed one weigh ?

my modified one is 42.5lbs, which i think is a net increase of about 8lbs (per side). 

i try to be mindful of the pounds when choosing most accessories, but i've always felt the weight of heavy-duty steel skidplates and rock-rails was a necessary evil if doing much rock crawling.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 3

i thought i had the drivers side finished, but i didn't really like the look of the raw stitch welds...

AM-JKLWBccWDovs_gXCc_ZOUa4jLoOdIa5GO1y7h

so i'm smoothing it over with spot/glazing putty, hopefully it doesn't all just pop-out on the first hard hit. :nailbiting:

AM-JKLUThHeskq28yMfmbUT8Hl-8HVUzozSCATFU

and finally getting started on the passenger side today...

AM-JKLV8k5X-Gbg-MIEm1qOxAPb0L5FRh-0NSw90

• Like 4

Could you technically weld the entire length and just grind it for aesthetics? Or is that overkill?

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, 4x4tographer said:

Could you technically weld the entire length and just grind it for aesthetics? Or is that overkill?

sure i could have, but i originally only welded the bottom for the entire length and then thought stitch-welding the top edges would be sufficient (andt it should be structurally). since it was already painted before i decided that i didn't like that look, it was just quicker and easier to use filler than sand it back to bare metal to weld...

however i've been advised by someone more experienced in this area that my application is in fact too thick for that glazing putty and it will probably crack out quickly. so i may be welding it all soon after all! 😅

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2

Kris,  What about an automotive seam sealer product?  
I have limited experience with the stuff but have used it while repairing rust on a couple of my old daily drivers.

The above video was the best I could find on the subject.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jgaz said:

Kris,  What about an automotive seam sealer product?  
I have limited experience with the stuff but have used it while repairing rust on a couple of my old daily drivers.

The above video was the best I could find on the subject.

that was my first idea too (the kind in the regular caulking tube)! mainly because i was thinking it might be more elastic. but, i already had some glazing putty on hand so i went with that 😬

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2