theksmith

Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon (Gadget)

5 hours ago, johnpa said:

Kris, what did you do with that triangle piece behind the rear wheel that sticks out. Cut it bend it back so it doesn't hit the tire?

i trimmed just slightly more than where the white line is in the photo below, and that was all i needed to clear the 37's. of course it depends on your bump-stop extension height and where exactly your control arms have your axle sitting too.

AM-JKLVJ5tF_aTPN12-j2Zaca9bDGO-Vn3XzpW19

Copy, thanks 

Just trimmed mine

• Like 1

16 hours ago, johnpa said:

Just trimmed mine

so you gonna post a photo of your rig with the new bigger meats?

had to install a new power steering pump this week, Mopar part #5154400ac. it was a pretty straightforward job, took about 2 hours. 151k miles on the original!

• Like 1

AJFCJaUf3B6zTTkPA80itr1XCTQPOWhesQTpYMa1

AJFCJaWlD722QjdyFL2X3JiveuhGQk1MabzeFolS

AJFCJaU6UkDdASmCGV5tLWnnWp3UD7aEBw3I-w-8

AJFCJaXdp7y4VWv9mL_3NiURIaxPPw46RFNRTVoj

AJFCJaUj66fJdZbJgpCR2ZdJJfZJuYWVMgKXmEDX

• Like 5

i posted a while back about the frame-end DDB (bushing) in my Synergy trackbar wearing out rather quickly...

this week i got a Johnny Joint rod-end with the correct threads to replace that DDB rod-end, but found that the 12* angle on the Synergy one was in fact critical. the JJ version was not available in an angled version - so i cut, bent, then welded up the JJ one myself. 

AJFCJaV0tvOZrtgPP9zyTqt_kHDzzUtMlxkePIdi

ugly welds, but i think maybe they will hold. i built up from the center of the rod with several layers, stopping to thoroughly clean each bead since i'm using flux-core wire.

AJFCJaUUqae7qQYH6TUcjSmekN8RepQySBv7--iu

installed:

AJFCJaWUUfNvHKHT1xTyH2Cnjs_F1Xo2tV1sSlV2

i put the original DDB one in my spare parts bag just in case my custom solution ever breaks.

AJFCJaXDXHP3MVo4pdfqCKaLUmVF6klLJ17fy9MS

i didn't want to drop $300 to $400+ on a different trackbar, nor keep replacing the frame-end bushing yearly. but my main motivation for keeping and improving this trackbar was that it clears my Synergy steering box brace and a lot of other won't. i also like having the sleeved length adjuster instead of a jam nut.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2

received a new VKS Fab "Felon" front winch bumper today! 

AJFCJaV87QgDIH2DtewUdIvv1FLp_uiMMzKDpqlO

this was an unexpected purchase, though i've had it on my "one-day" list for a while. then last week i heard VKS Fab was shutting down. i was able to find a place with one still in-stock, so i snapped it up.

it has somewhat of a unique design in that it's an extreme clearance frame-chop style, yet the winch is still recessed below the Jeep's grille (so as to not restrict air flow to the radiator). all the other frame-chop ones i've seen have the winch mounted at least partially in front of the grille.

AJFCJaXzWuq8kNqO09eyck9A3PiZL4VrgV34gwYA

besides prep and paint, i've got a little bit of work to get this installed. i need to relocate the JK's vacuum pump to under the hood, modify the winch controller box mounting, and adjust my shower nozzle placement.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 3
  • Wow 1

been working with the bumper some this week...

i rounded the sharp edges of the d-ring tabs so they could be used with a soft shackle.

AJFCJaVJ6wsELaaaSLKPLohPAHLGQntS0v3bKI0K

cut out the logo, welded in some filler metal and ground it all down smooth.

AJFCJaVnJZaZRwmMX9_8SbMciKuWzsqMGCbOLLOP

removed the front 2 rock lights, grille, shower nozzle, winch control box, winch line, winch, lower skid plate, vacuum pump, and then finally the old bumper could come off!

then yesterday evening i started cutting. hope it's right - there's no "undo" button on a sawz-all!

AJFCJaV1gYtVvMl1n00_dKaP9biah1xJbXGox_AZ

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 5
  • Wow 2

slow going, having to rearrange some of the winch wiring because everything will be packed in tighter. also need to figure out exactly how to relocate the vacuum pump - all the common under-hood relocation brackets mount in places that i already have something else!

finished cutting and drilling, cleaned all that up and painted the bare metal.

AJFCJaVit5lTVk-o91nL6I2SQYOKWx-j45HmzUBz

stuff that was cut off (the rest of the lower "crash bar" was already removed for my previous bumper):

AJFCJaUCEOGnSu7MvjzvepgPmtLonpLmOqOMEklG

• Like 3
  • Wow 2