Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon

ACtC-3e4Gmo775SG2vYu00OdxvXiPv87cYtyQlyK

ACtC-3en-1ukTKisY0WJzhgTwH8fsyb6euGGF4EE

ACtC-3dfCjpvgdpA_afwStgaGng4RPOR6O0evUUh

• Like 5

Is that the four peaks fire?

1 hour ago, dzJeepChic said:

Is that the four peaks fire?

yeah, the north/west area of that Bush fire - looking at it from this side of Bartlett Lake.

i guess we won't be doing Mud Springs anytime soon either, the fire covered that area and reached all the way up to Mt Ord too. i wonder if the cabin at the end of Mud Springs Trail survived?

• Sad 2

On 6/10/2020 at 8:16 PM, johnpa said:

Looks like a good time to install some flat fenders

soon!

1 hour ago, theksmith said:

yeah, the north/west area of that Bush fire - looking at it from this side of Bartlett Lake.

i guess we won't be doing Mud Springs anytime soon either, the fire covered that area and reached all the way up to Mt Ord too. i wonder if the cabin at the end of Mud Springs Trail survived?

It would be a complete fluke if the Mud Springs shack survived, but who knows? Fire is so weird sometimes how it completely skips some areas but devastates others nearby. From here it looks like the camp spot we had planned for the 4th is burned, as well as that whole El Oso and Pine Flats areas. We can see the smoke coming up from the other side now. They evacuated all the small communities around Roosevelt, Canyon and Apache Lakes, and also Sunflower and Deer Creek Village up by Gisela. Super bad.

• Sad 2

finished re-painting the bumpers and rock sliders, touched up a few little spots on the body, then got her all shined up.

ACtC-3dtvvznJDD6HQGrrnAs_raJJoxpwby6yath

ACtC-3fpDiB8gJh6nRGuYq409sjrKqZysVFPxTJT

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

2 hours ago, theksmith said:

finished re-painting the bumpers and rock sliders, touched up a few little spots on the body, then got her all shined up.

ACtC-3dtvvznJDD6HQGrrnAs_raJJoxpwby6yath

ACtC-3fpDiB8gJh6nRGuYq409sjrKqZysVFPxTJT

Ooooooooo shiny! What are you using to polish/wax?

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, 4x4tographer said:

Ooooooooo shiny! What are you using to polish/wax?

i had the car wash place do a carnauba hand wax, then i went back over the whole thing with Chemical Guys Synthetic Quick Detailer to even out the shine and remove all the white residue they leave in the cracks and on the trim. the quick detailer is reasonably priced, anti-static, easy to apply, and doesn't remove existing wax.

613TqOTk29L._AC_SL500_.jpg

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

one of the little LED bolt lights on my custom rear license plate / camera / third brake light mount died recently. those never did stick out quite far enough to illuminate the plate really well, so i switched to a new plate light which required a slight re-design of the top portion.

before:

kIbYjnsLCWKxXLVR2j4NVTzKbVK5LR2H_W8Vlu5F

after:

ACtC-3eU6lTc7lYsnj6q9brhyvykcyJZ2OpJXVR4

ACtC-3cFt9vkVqFRHW2BkXfewLdkmyfeZ43-H9_S

i also replaced the little bolts that hold on the camera with some stainless steel - the black ones i used before were rusting. then i cleaned up the wiring on the back side and changed out the electrical connector (the Deutsch connector was difficult to un-clip).

before:

YlcARQVQEj64d8FGy7RuXszr9uIJ1TFKrk3v1CXR

after:

ACtC-3dReMv-07YqOg94mllCwhtiJr1gSWLvAxf9

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 3

On 6/23/2020 at 7:42 PM, theksmith said:

i had the car wash place do a carnauba hand wax, then i went back over the whole thing with Chemical Guys Synthetic Quick Detailer to even out the shine and remove all the white residue they leave in the cracks and on the trim. the quick detailer is reasonably priced, anti-static, easy to apply, and doesn't remove existing wax.

613TqOTk29L._AC_SL500_.jpg

Good job Kris!

Nice to see you’re a fan of Chemical Guys products.  I’m sure you know that it is MUCH cheaper to use their online site instead of shopping in their local store.  
There is always some sorta of deal online.  

I really like this product :

102F826C-7F90-4849-8BDB-13344FAEF613.thumb.jpeg.e42b8ab847fed321340fb2c7619bcb84.jpeg

It says tire shine and it works well for that although not as long lasting as some harder to apply products.

where it really shines (pun intended) is applied to black plastic trim etc.

I like it much better than ArmorAll because any overspray on the paint is ez to wipe off, doesn't  seem to smear like some products.

I use it on all the black trim on my truck as well as the tires

052BAA2A-CE8F-4402-BBDA-0E8B79EAA387.thumb.jpeg.d97f5824413d1b5ecc6d42a139a93c79.jpeg

• Like 2