theksmith

Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon

Posted (edited)
On 6/23/2020 at 10:56 AM, theksmith said:

finished re-painting the bumpers and rock sliders, touched up a few little spots on the body, then got her all shined up.

ACtC-3dtvvznJDD6HQGrrnAs_raJJoxpwby6yath

ACtC-3fpDiB8gJh6nRGuYq409sjrKqZysVFPxTJT

Looking good!

Edited by shellback91
  • Like 1

well that didn't take long:

ACtC-3d-0iCVR8Fh0USnzUn-C7WlVfO4VMaGuJRd

with the high-mileage in mind, i'm looking more at what spare parts to have and what proactive maintenance to perform:

just installed MPS JKU rear strap extension brackets to make getting in and out of the rear easier:

and a random photo of Gadget from this morning - just felt like having breakfast out in the dirt, one of the benefits to living at the edge of town!

ACtC-3dR_6GH-2_RMkiNCsS26VA2CO76jHImrSxC

• Like 1

A464D0E0-3870-4069-8BC9-140D8214604E.thumb.png.8c2de7a9735a46105198dbcd4e6d6ac2.png

• Like 2

i ordered some aluminum fender flares! Nemesis Notorious Front and Notorious Rear Dovetail.

here's a good shot of them on a Teraflex rig:

57be07b7ccfc600088d9809f.jpeg

since i have a narrow bumper, i opted for the "dovetail" style rears that taper down at the back:

dsc03498_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

ever since i installed the K&N snorkel setup, i've had a minor rattle as i pass a certain RPM during hard acceleration. overall the snorkel/filter added a nice deep tone when you floor it, but the brief buzzing sound was annoying.

0xPxxzteqh7LrINWWdmmFTtNt6DswbRrPJOFtDPj

i finally got around to removing the fender and taking the whole thing apart to try and see where the noise was coming from...

this portion of the snorkel tubing runs right by the exhaust headers on the passenger side:

ACtC-3e5POmpOvPb5_gjnl_tPncBhw4r9kKVY0Tw

it turns out the heat shield on there was rubbing the headers' heat shield just a bit. you can see the scratches in the middle here where they were touching:

ACtC-3d5LqxdPGOxWf_fq13rVN3M8RP6Nszwk3pJ

i was able to wiggle things around a little as i put it all back together and make more space between those shields - and indeed the noise is now gone. yay!

while i was in there, i wrapped the entire portion that runs near the headers with some fiberglass/foil reflective heat tape to try and keep the intake temps down. a 2" x 15' roll of DEI's Reflect-a-Gold was just enough.

ACtC-3dHxgo9IGlhBN0yx0ww5or8a-SSbgAuisjt

ACtC-3eahF7-pPe1V1fjnEaKwlo9fhLiYcKUUbJk

i didn't do a scientific before & after temperature comparison, so i can't really say for sure if it made any difference - but i can't imagine it would hurt!

ACtC-3ei9xQ6BvMq4vfjQmaP0Xp6zJkdoTQYvsvk

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2

another random thing checked off the list today...

when i wired up my winch, i left the Blue Sea ANL Fuse Holder just flopping around because i had plans to go to a dual battery soon and thought i would organize the wiring better when i installed that. however, i still haven't gotten around to the dual battery!

so this morning i made a little extension on my custom fuse holder tray to secure the big winch fuse to:

ACtC-3f0ylYBWMuBiSI7m8HCMi3CjENSlo_CDwCF

my hood insulation was looking really ratty, probably from washing the engine bay so often.

i know some people just remove the insulation. there are various explanations online for why it's even there - from sound deadening, to helping the hood paint last longer, to slowing engine fires. i'm not sure what the main purpose is, but i figured i'd try to save it for now.

ACtC-3cexQEVhb8tTDq9JERNarJFLpSTj3FbW6c1

the section right over the air-box inlet was especially ratty and hanging down, which i thought might be blocking some air flow.

ACtC-3eCPwO1qKl37rUIRK2-FYRlLOfZJiG2NOGK

so first i trimmed that little section out.

ACtC-3dipNokjlDC1I7Mi2L5YSMHRQRDHEI88uIS

i coated the whole thing with Plasti Dip Aerosol, which soaks in a bit and seems to help glue the fraying fiberglass back together and adds a little bit of water resistance.

the edges were then taped with Gorilla Outdoor Duct Tape because they were separating in some places. i'm not sure how long the tape will last, but figured it was worth a try.

i finished up by drilling a few more holes in the "frame" of the hood for additional plastic push clips to help support it.

ACtC-3dqwDNV9iKjWG7zi1cyiSjy2HxBOazwDxwy

this was an example of a "one thing led to another" project and in retrospect, i probably should have just removed the insulation and thrown it away!

Edited by theksmith

3 minutes ago, theksmith said:

my hood insulation was looking really ratty, probably from washing the engine bay so often.

i know some people just remove the insulation. there are various explanations online for why it's even there - from sound deadening, to helping the hood paint last longer, to slowing engine fires. i'm not sure what the main purpose is, but i figured i'd try to save it for now.

ACtC-3cexQEVhb8tTDq9JERNarJFLpSTj3FbW6c1

the section right over the air-box inlet was especially ratty and hanging down, which i figured might be blocking some air flow.

ACtC-3eCPwO1qKl37rUIRK2-FYRlLOfZJiG2NOGK

so first i trimmed that little section out.

ACtC-3dipNokjlDC1I7Mi2L5YSMHRQRDHEI88uIS

i coated the whole thing with Plasti Dip Aerosol, which soaks in a bit and seems to help glue the fraying fiberglass back together and adds a little bit of water resistance.

the edges were then taped with Gorilla Outdoor Duct Tape because they were separating in some places. i'm not sure how long the tape will last, but figured it was worth a try.

i finished up by drilling a few more holes in the "frame" of the hood for additional plastic push clips to help support it.

ACtC-3dqwDNV9iKjWG7zi1cyiSjy2HxBOazwDxwy

this was an example of a "one thing led to another" project and in retrospect, i probably should have just removed the insulation and thrown it away!

The hood insulation must be something unique as I didn't have that on my 2012 nor do I have that on my 2017.

Interesting....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AZRNintheJeep242 said:

The hood insulation must be something unique as I didn't have that on my 2012 nor do I have that on my 2017.

Interesting....

i had read elsewhere that only the Rubicon models had it... so it's obviously not strictly necessary, but i don't really know for sure why they bother to put it in some models.