Sign in to follow this  
Bradywgn71

Tip Top Mine -04/17/2016

I'll start off the picture thread from the Tip Top mine exploration trip. Here is a link to the full album:

https://picasaweb.google.com/110968346826086888564/20160417TIPTOP?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPvVk-_py-uOcA&feat=directlink

We had a great time despite almost being landlocked and almost unable to make it through from Tip Top over to Castle Hot Springs rd. Thanks to everyone for another fun adventure!

Thanks for starting the photos, so glad we didn't have to go back out the way we came in.

Yeah me too. I don't think without lockers we would have made it back up that "trail" over the mountain ridges!

Here's my favorite picture from yesterday, I'll share more later. :D

DSCN1534.JPG

me too....it would have been night wheeling.......

Thanks for starting the photos, so glad we didn't have to go back out the way we came in.

If you weren't on the day trip on Sunday to Tip Top Mine, you might be wondering what happened by now because of the comments above. Here's what happened. Sorry my pictures are kind of blurry - they were mostly taken from a moving Jeep on a bumpy road.

Up for this adventure were theksmith (leading blindly in his own words), JKUR, Bradywagon & kaspily, scottL, Rubidos, gearhead, CAVU2, Number 7 & me. We met at McD's at Carefree Hwy. & I-17, drove in caravan north from there on 17 to Table Mesa exit. We were on the west side of 17. We aired down then drove north by northwestward on trail 99999. We came to a trail closure, something about private land, had to backtrack to 99998 which eventually went right past the pile of dirt closing of 99999.

Regroup when we reached 99998 after turning around:

DSCN1467.JPG

Crossing a creek:

DSCN1476.JPG

DSCN1477.JPG

We stopped at this Indian Fort on the way. It was really cool!

DSCN1478.JPG

K & scotty

DSCN1482.JPG

Amazing views from up there:

DSCN1486.JPG

The Jeeps:

DSCN1487.JPG

DSCN1488.JPG

Then we headed for Tip Top Mine. The trail followed alongside a creek. The hillsides were lush green and there were a lot of super crazy looking saguaros.

DSCN1495.JPG

DSCN1499.JPG

DSCN1502.JPG

We got to Tip Top a little after noon and all had lunch next to the remains of a stone structure.

DSCN1504.JPG

Then George, gearhead, JKUR Dan, CAVU2 Kevin, kaspily & Bradywgn71 Sarah & Chris, and Rubidos Terry & Pat all went hiking around the hillsides to checkout the mining remains while the rest of us sat around in the shade.

Here are pictures George took after bushwacking it up to a road we could see on the side of a hill:

DSCN1505.JPG

DSCN1506.JPG

DSCN1507.JPG

Dan most likely wishing he hadn't followed George:

DSCN1510.JPG

DSCN1514.JPG

DSCN1516.JPG

DSCN1518.JPG

Scotty made turtles a la Ladybug and passed them around:

DSCN1521.JPG

Then we decided to see if we could find an exit route to the west, toward Lake Pleasant rather than returning via the Table Mesa Trail system. So we continued in the same direction past Tip Top Mine. Pretty soon we came to a corral and building.

DSCN1522.JPG

DSCN1526.JPG

DSCN1528.JPG

Pretty straight forward:

DSCN1529.JPG

This is where Kristoffer said it looks like straight ahead or left both look like trails from google earth, but left looks a little more used. He said he wasn't sure if it went through, but we all decided to try it. George said he thought it went up to a mine and stopped, but it didn't. It went up a hill and then a few switchbacks and we dropped into a valley in full view of Lake Pleasant.

DSCN1532.JPG

DSCN1542.JPG

There was a majestic saguaro forest on the hillside:

DSCN1545.JPG

DSCN1551.JPG

DSCN1553.JPG

We came out of the canyon and found a graded road and several signs that said 'BLM Route' (can't remember exact verbiage). The problem was, we kept coming to locked gates and 'NO TRESSPASSING' signs. At one point the group split up trying all different directions to find a way to Cow Creek Road (the back way to Crown King road).

DSCN1555.JPG

On the trail George and I checked, there was a sign on the fence next to a cattle guard 'Road Closed Dead-end at Private Property' or something. But, since it was the only way without a locked gate, George and I drove in to check it out. There was a house on the hill across the wash from us, and we could see the road we were on connected with a road that went past the house. We couldn't tell if the road kept going so we drove past the house up a hill on the other side to get a vantage point. From there we could see Cow Creek Rd, and it looked like the road at the bottom of the hill went over there. So we radio'd to K and the gang to come on, and we all went, hoping not to find a locked gate. We didn't, after a while we found our way to Cow Creek and zoomed on down to the air up spot.

The moon was coming out by the time we found our way, and we were all very glad we didn't have to backtrack the way we had come!

DSCN1558.JPG

All the pictures I uploaded are here >>>>CLICKY-CLICK

Did anybody get any pictures of the signs that said BLM or the ones next to the cattle guard? I'm thinking of doing a JPFreek thing.

Glad you guys had a fun trip. Would you still consider the trail easy to moderate? Did anyone keep GPS tracks? I would be interested to see how you made it out.

Did anybody get any pictures of the signs that said BLM or the ones next to the cattle guard? I'm thinking of doing a JPFreek thing.

there's one of the first big sign about being allowed to pass in Sarah's pics...

Glad you guys had a fun trip. Would you still consider the trail easy to moderate? Did anyone keep GPS tracks? I would be interested to see how you made it out.

and Sarah also has the tracks! as do i, but i need to get them off the tablet...

i'd still consider it moderate, my little baby stock JK made it without using the lockers any and only scraped the bottom a few times. going the other direction could be tricky though, there were several places that had ledges combined with off-camber on a shelf road. we dropped down all that, so going back up it might be safest with lockers to help you hold your line.

there was one turn on the lake side that my gut told me to take, but instead i followed what looked like a fresh couple of Razr tracks. if we had taken that and it did go through, then we would have come out much closer to the lake (it would have turned us South sooner instead of going West all the way to Cow Creek Rd).

This is where Kristoffer said it looks like straight ahead or left both look like trails from google earth, but left looks a little more used. He said he wasn't sure if it went through, but we all decided to try it. George said he thought it went up to a mine and stopped, but it didn't. It went up a hill and then a few switchbacks and we dropped into a valley in full view of Lake Pleasant.

actually straight at the ranch was the most used looking path, but it appeared to dead end with a bunch of spurs at a mining area on the aerial photo maps. right (North) looked the second most used and i think you could connect to somewhere near Crown King or Cleater that way. left, the way we went, actually looked the least like a real path from overhead photos, but i thought it would be a much shorter way out than going North.

i'd like to go check out the area again, especially to see if the other road on the lake side would yield a better exit. i think it might hit the wilderness area though. the problem is that even just getting to Tip Top is a long bumpy, kinda boring ride!

Sarah sent me her tracks, here you go...

Apr_17,_2016_9_31_22_AM.gpx