Sign in to follow this  
klaykrusher

Tent for the non-camper

Thanks for all the info folks, good write ups and information.

I think at this point it may make sense to try out an entry level tent. I like the idea of the Coleman to get started at least. I figure if it gets used once or twice month, then I can make a better decision on where to go from there without having a lot invested into it. I still have to get a sleeping bag or two and some other things so don't want to go too crazy with all this stuff.

Thanks for all the info folks, good write ups and information.

I think at this point it may make sense to try out an entry level tent. I like the idea of the Coleman to get started at least. I figure if it gets used once or twice month, then I can make a better decision on where to go from there without having a lot invested into it. I still have to get a sleeping bag or two and some other things so don't want to go too crazy with all this stuff.

That's a good approach. I have a WalMart tent that I bought several years ago, taking that same approach. Despite the fact that I now own several tents, that $30 bobber still goes out a few times a year and is still in good shape. I do feel guilty every time I take it out though, thinking some kid got paid 24 cents to make it.

Look on craigslist for used ones...no sense in spending a bunch of money and finding out you don't like it.

Just did a search on craigslist and there are a bunch of tents for sale

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/search/spo?query=tent

and of course there is the one I want for the XJ for sale there too...never fails, always in the wrong part of the country when I am looking for something specific.

Well I ending up purchasing 3 tents. 2 were returned. First I purchased a Marmot Limelight 3P. First time doing business with this place over the internet and really did not expect to receive the tent. It's was advertised as an spring '09 model for 150.00 shipped.

I contacted them 2 weeks later and they said they were having a hard time getting Marmot to ship them equipment (here we go, glad I wasn't expecting much out of them).

In the mean time, Kris saw Costco had a tent made by Kelty. So I figured I would try that out. Got it home, and fifteen minutes later I still could not figure how to set this thing up. Directions were terrible. I know, couple of poles, in the holes and wham, all set right? We'll even my wife said give up. Returned that to Costco. :mad:

3rd week, contacted the company about the Marmot. Customer service manager said he called them and 'gave them an azz chewing for not shipping' Asked me if I wanted my money back. Since I wasn't in a hurry, I said let it ride. :snicker:

I figured I would not see the Marmot. So looking through the Sunday flier's I see a nice Coleman 9X7 for 40.00. Alright, I give it a try. I bring it home, set it up, not too bad, I crawl in and first thing I see is a 3 foot section of sidewall to bottom stitching that missed it's mark and left a gaping hole. Okay, now I give up. My wife is laughing at me, but she consoles me and says she is laughing with me, huh? :( So that get's returned.

4th week, I contact the Marmot retailer again, he does some checking and voila, Marmot shipped it and I should expect it with in a week. I'm thinking I'll believe it when I see it.

Sure enough a week later, hello Mr. UPS man. Take it upstairs and literally less than 4 minutes, tent is setup and ready to go. Yay!

So with nervous anticipation for the upcoming Memorial day Tucson trip, I have to stay I am very pleased with how the tent performed. I plan to give a better review down the road, but it setup quickly, not as quick as Kris's cot-tent, but quick enough for me. Plenty of room for 1 person. I think 2 folks would be snug, but the fly has 2 vestibules for extra room/storage.

So I'm happy to say that I think the Limelight and myself will be friends for a long time. :D

DSC_5345.JPG

DSC_5331.JPG