Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

JK Unlimited Rear Storage Solution

Just wanted to mention the head liner that I made for my JKU from EVA foam. This stuff is pretty inexpensive and very easy to work with. You often find it like this:

FYAW3POHFD15PG2.MEDIUM.jpg

The stuff I used came in a roll meant for a larger surface:

F1H57K7HFD191NF.MEDIUM.jpg

Covering the freedom panels was easy as I just removed them and flipped them upside down. Tracing and measuring, I was able to come up with a good fit. I had some trouble keeping them glued in place. Can't remember what I tried first, but I ended up using Shoo Goo and it has been holding fine for a few years now. To cover the rest, I just measured and held them in place with some tape and a couple of thin strips of lumber while the glue set.

Where I live, it doesn't get Arizona heat, but on our sunny days, it helps a lot as you don't feel as much heat blasting on your head. In the winter I think it helps insulate too.

I think my install cost maybe $35

Doesn't look as the manufactured liner and not as easy to install. I like it though!

Doesn't look as the manufactured liner and not as easy to install. I like it though!

sounds like a great DIY alternative!

a couple minor adjustments...

creepy platform

now that my sleeping platform has worn in a bit to the track where it's stowed, it has started to creep forward every so often. it ends up rubbing on the back of the rear seat leather and i was worried it might make a hole eventually.

presenting use number 2,041 for an spring indexing pin! i still had one more left from when i was messing with the fridge slide, so i made a quick bracket and added it where it could quickly lock the platform in place:

jLnaFplSvQKpGKd4x5sp4hRytcF2BPJNSxoOWpXOIbEny9WetvhOH-o_qMvrQ1EQeUClToyH4afIWVhLraTuC6HPcal9YlaWTGTHtprx53dWd4rLkppUE5f2XancMRRU0yEOF9x4eJCpS8_DETIkLVo4TcnCe8f-O0bZ3bZ0Ne72Y5q8oInl5pKdYK9HuZEHF1hmhMGneIOPz0m5I-SrQnD5A-lU1o3WTF1L_BdKLgNvcNzBJlKE32j9dvaovSdFg_cYrBkLQXZAYZOXSiXtYcPSrPqhSBvccsCAlXv9nTI5gUhU6xc39RYQbhpe4d4yhOXnGEsNqWH-yNUFw78U_HRO4N7j45o9Y9o6GAx4CsnCVknsfAdSE7LC1xresWSO5l16aW37MsnaIQTnQIFadrKDGUcSEuZjW9kalFIPWX4jruLLt35m6ctKx3Hs5U4yiB6_ALqBNxRKpGXgnRzoM-SchvYTLPQTI8Ptp9o7hobdBBhOuFZN2gPg8YYnOUo66Z3t8Uog9sAs439oDMR59i1xOV8CYQMWSX3MFMFsfq-WpdYjWGwYtx2OwRnUO_IrTK9Hjp_C4bOxGhzNL4fOSEhPAJjBj0XLzwlLdkzH-G-kEu-PnKiJ67tjlzBqeWcd0O82nJZH6GWxjhwl1HaDoYtGhlSDZYYxwEw9TIDDGQ=s800

i simply drilled a hole in the sleeping platform itself to receive the pin. the whole mod took 10 minutes, and now the platform is secured from front-to-back movement. the "friction fit" in the aluminum channels is still working fine in terms of no rattling or other noises.

sp what is that damn noise?

the 2U aluminum server rack drawer i added has been awesome to store stuff like the air hose, bug spray, baby wipes, etc. - but sometimes the junk i throw in there rattles around, and is especially loud against the aluminum sides - which drives me bonkers.

i still had some speaker box carpet from when i mounted the amps on boards in the WJ, so i used that to line the inside of the drawer.

i've had good luck with Permatex spray-on headliner glue to attach fabric/carpet (compared to generic contact-cement), so i bought another can of that for this project.

a1ijUKunYznh3avC-EvlWrfMmJeCPghtjaw34jfTN6T1zUu3CkDwDAwFZRDey5hQHEtbcwbbgLTJumlz_l9_z2ANN7I-9sjcLDccqUCNiEYSBuorBu7V1u0vJwhfNLHYg_EaiDpIG6BiUoe9B202L3irbVmkt4OZbW9V11egNEsUSNddweBNFd9lIGuTI-BMRA9wAD0v7rTJX_0CgckNs835K1hg1twOFNN18FqbdxeQxFP-qjqLCWEuHddLfFxoa9fKgX2XF0otYJ9rrmParo-6CseEuMPTmlw7dAcrh-ynSVzYfknwJsGgo5j7oK7Agp6aOCBI3cIJPLpwJMKKgQNtPD4fUnFPklSqxtaDweKdmjEWroFyq3Gc8fIQZbNAdQ7pAQeOMUjE2sX6Kmb_7sN3MUa5fnMD3UyyEgCea75ayhM84qYlUaVfgURgUA4YW1KO8d4RckKSXLFxl5X85s0GFdiUXMRahksZthznzVUXkQLGa3wW79Yk3FwLesagyCy0iBqRu6QNuJcggfX-ZEGpHhoyXcIEYpBGX8wi7AhA1Lz1GjjyCltDOEzc1nqb857SdG5RPF188tz_0pK94HohZv707OOjBojdfDV3-0vy5mClqx9eK3ktiWC57AXUjmhzzQlmbpYZDlTF2lIbthaNR5RLGfImyGVIRv8Jaw=s800

Just wanted to mention the head liner that I made for my JKU from EVA foam. This stuff is pretty inexpensive and very easy to work with. You often find it like this:

FYAW3POHFD15PG2.MEDIUM.jpg

The stuff I used came in a roll meant for a larger surface:

F1H57K7HFD191NF.MEDIUM.jpg

Covering the freedom panels was easy as I just removed them and flipped them upside down. Tracing and measuring, I was able to come up with a good fit. I had some trouble keeping them glued in place. Can't remember what I tried first, but I ended up using Shoo Goo and it has been holding fine for a few years now. To cover the rest, I just measured and held them in place with some tape and a couple of thin strips of lumber while the glue set.

Where I live, it doesn't get Arizona heat, but on our sunny days, it helps a lot as you don't feel as much heat blasting on your head. In the winter I think it helps insulate too.

I've had a lot of success using brown paper grocery bags, or kraft paper, to trace out patterns.

Usually takes several attempts to get it "just right".