theksmith

Window Vents for Sleeping Inside Your Rig

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, 4x4tographer said:

Out of curiosity, how are your new-ish vents holding up? Do you drive with them installed, or do you pop them in when you're ready to use them?

I stumbled across this product on Home Depot and it looks like it's pretty much perfect for this application. It even has a bug screen and a c-channel for the window glass to slip into!

6" of height. I'm thinking I'd just have to trim it to length.

that product looks promising, especially for the price!

i keep my custom vents in the bottom of the duffle that holds my sleeping bag and pad, and they seem to be holding up just fine. i rarely use them though, only when it might rain since they have angled louvers to keep rain out.

instead i usually use the mesh screens from Amazon, which are super fast to deploy and allow me to open or close the windows any amount to adjust air-flow. they are also dark enough to provide privacy when changing.

here's an updated link for some mesh screens, note you need the XXL on a Jeep just for the height so they reach far enough down below the glass to seal out the bugs. update: here are some less expensive ones with a slightly lower rating, but sound like they work just fine on Jeeps (from the reviews).

Edited by theksmith
  • Thanks 2

On 7/19/2021 at 1:52 PM, theksmith said:

here's an updated link for some mesh screens, note you need the XXL on a Jeep just for the height so they reach far enough down below the glass to seal out the bugs.

Thanks for the recommendation Kris, theses ones fit great!

• Like 1

My first, ghetto-fabulous attempt at this with a 16x3 vent and a piece of corrugated plastic. Gorilla tape, a bead of silicone, and a dash of bed liner spray 😂

mIm1fhv.jpg

yKg9VWD.jpg

I've got a spare vent leftover - I'm going to def attempt this again with something more robust than plastic. I was a little overzealous when inserting it and crushed the plastic a bit rolling up the window!

I have a thin sheet of 16GA steel that might fit the bill. :) 

• Like 4

Completely forgot about these, thanks @theksmith for posting a link to the screens on Amazon, put a set in my cart, these will be handy while sleeping in the my rig. 👍

• Like 1