Sign in to follow this  
jburns

Jeep Grand lifting idea???

So I'm on round 2 on owning a wj... unfortunately all my old research and lists are in storage about 5 states away. Initially I was going to go with Clayton 6inch lift this time around but I came up with another idea. Im thinking I could do maybe some 3inch coils, trim the fender wells and.... possibly do 33s or 35s? I'm not going to bash on it like I have with all my other jeeps in the past... but I'm wondering if the D30 and D44a would be able to handle that large of a tire? Eventually I want to piece together a lift?

Again thinking 2-3in coil springs

Adjustable control arms all around, possibly the triangular a-arm (iron rock off-road has one I think?) meaning 4 control arms in from, the tri-a arm and bottom control arms in back?

Most likely the Currie or rubicon express track bar, tie rod, ?pitman? Arm

Will I need to consider drive shafts? In my mind, I'm picturing something medium flex? More on the short arm lift side as opposed to long arm?

For some reason... I've been dealing with 33-35 inch tires and got the idea that I need that size as opposed to the 265s I had back in the day on my last wj...

Pretty want to build something I can run this northwest trans American trail I've been hearing so much about since living in the northwest...

My cousin used to live in Hayes. They have trails in Kansas?:rolleyes::D

I know theKsmith had a Clayton lift on his GC and there are plenty of other GC owners here that I'm sure will chime in soon enough.

I've owned a Zj and a wj, if I ever own another I would put a Clayton lift on it.

I have the IRO 4" lift with the short arm adjustable CA's front and rear. It swapped the d turdyfive for the d44a and did the chromally IRO axel swap in the front with 4.54 gears and lockers, you will need the gears if you have the 4.0. I went with 33" tires and had to do a bunch of trimming in the front wells. I plan on stuffing some 35's soon and will have to cut more in the front and rear, looking for the lowcog set up.

s!Ahw51eNtaw3PjxSxSLGqVLfoUJ7C

If you want 33s or larger, you're going to need more than 2 or 3 inches of lift if you plan on wheeling it. Yes, 33s can be done at that height. It's not going to work well for wheeling though. At 3 inches, you could trim it a lot and do mild stuff. You really haven't said what kind of a budget you have to accomplish this. If you can throw a rough dollar amount that you have to spend, it'll be a little easier to help you. Adjustable arms, track bar, A-Arm, etc.. really eat into a budget. It's not cheap to lift a WJ "correctly". What front driveshaft do you have? If you have one of the first two in the pic below, plan on a front driveshaft swap because those won't survive the steeper angles from the lift. You would need the third one. If your WJ came from the factory with it like mine did, you're good to go. If it didn't, a salvage yard swap or an aftermarket shaft will remedy that. You would need the associated yokes as well. This will add to the costs. Front sway bar disconnects? Extended bump stops and spring retainers so you don't drop springs on the trail... Like Capsul said above, at 4" lift, he had to do a bunch of trimming to fit 33s. Same thing I had to do when I was at 4.5". Lockers? Re-gearing for the taller tires? Armor? More cost. If you can give some more info on your budget, I could offer a more detailed suggestion.

Grand_Front_optionsAll.jpg

We are currently running 305 70 r17 with between 4 and 6" of lift. Right now i have 4" iro springs and 2" spacers, i will most likely put the 2" kings springs and spacers back in. It sits about 15mm lower but at the moment it feels like the rear end is steering (contant steering adjustment needed when traveling down the hwy). By the way kings supply arb so old man emu are the same spring.

I've had to move the diff forward by about 1". I found some of the measurements on jeep forum i think, wj suspension thread.

I only have a spacer in the a frame for the back standard lower controll arms. With 0 offset wheels the tires just rubbed at full lock. I now have +25 offset and every thing is a 3 point turn. I have bushwacker cuttout flares with 0 offsets they foul. With +25 they stuff in to the guard behind the flares. Ideally i wanted 34" 285 75r17 but no one imports them in to Australia and i got the 35s with less than 100kms on them off a h2 hummer cheap.

A friend in Coffs Harbour had a dub with front locker, iro lift and axles standard housing with no problems. However if you have scene my thread you will know that i have bent my d30. He used his hard offroad but i think i do more high speed dirt driving so i think the constant hammering from corrigations etc with the large tires eas too much for it.

My recomendation would be a slightly smaller tire i will most likely try 305 70r17 next time because i slill cant get the 285 75r17s here.

Have fun whatever you decide.

P.s. just spoke to the guy from coffs. He did have his 30 sleeved. From memory i think the K Smith ran 35s for a little while before swaping to the jk diffs.