Sign in to follow this  
KevinsOffroad.com

Dodge Ram 2500 Overlanding Rig Build by KevinsOffroad.com

Did a video on our "virgin" Cummins Ram Overlanding Expedition Rig...has been a fun build so far!

More miles on her than my mustang:eek: I'm digging the old school camper shell look and it's functionality.

Thanks, Scott. Yeah, I was a bit apprehensive about building out a rig with as many miles as this one had, however, I knew that the frame was solid, the Dana 60 front and Dana 70 rear were solid, and that I could rebuild the Cummins when I needed to.

The trans was rebuilt some time before I purchased it...and shifts just fine...but I plan to monitor it and rebuild it as quickly as it begins to act up.

With little to no electronical gadgetry (mechanical injection, very few computers...), I figure having sensor issues and wiring problems is not highly likely.

Also, replacement parts are prevalent, EVERYWHERE...as you might imagine. It's as easy as buying parts for a 70's Ford truck...you can find them in any auto parts house. There were a bunch of them made, so there's still enough demand for those parts for parts houses to keep them in stock...and the 6BT Cummins engine was used in tractors, generators, pumps, trucks, etc for a LOT of years, and very widely across the Americas...which means that I should be able to find parts, and mechanics able to work on it, regardless of what Country I happen to be in.

It was a calculated risk...but I figured that finding a low-mile 1994-1998 12-valve (with mechanical injection) was not likely to be time well spent, lol.

It was a calculated risk...but I figured that finding a low-mile 1994-1998 12-valve (with mechanical injection) was not likely to be time well spent, lol.
Sounds like you've done your research. I watched an episode of diesel bros on discovery channel where they purchased a '97 12 valve off a guy they saw at a gas station and were referring to it as the "holy grail" of diesel engines.