Sign in to follow this  
stockjeep

hand held ham

The FT-60 is a great radio. It gets the job done without too many bells and whistles.

Yaesu is probably the top manufacturer for hand-held hams, can't go wrong there.

The BaoFeng units that a lot of folks have are way cheaper, but mine died after a year... a Yaesu unit should last a lifetime.

Yaesu is probably the top manufacturer for hand-held hams, can't go wrong there.

The BaoFeng units that a lot of folks have are way cheaper, but mine died after a year... a Yaesu unit should last a lifetime.

Don't know about that particular model, but I have the FT1DR and really like it. Except for the size, it's a shrunk FT400: has APRS, digital, etc. but obviously lower power 5W vs 50W.

The model you're looking at though has Emergency Automatic Identification (EAI). Not sure how it works, but that might replace your SPOT.

I have one and it has held up well to falls, etc. It is more expensive than a baofeng but it is worth it in my opinion.

I have one of those as well, a good unit but imo, kind of complicated, at least to a non-Ham enthusiast. Once I figured out how to lock in a freq., it got better. I have bought a mount for it and will be putting it in my FSJ.

The mount was built for a baeofang radio, but will fit a FT60 if you widen the sides by bending and trimming out the belt clip notch. (Dremel) $10 + shipping (Tucson) You can read the thread about it here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/121298-Baofeng-UV5R-quot-Builder-Brackets-quot?highlight=builder

Curly

we'll start with this one then. the mount is a great idea, we borrowed a handheld unit for a few days last summer and with all the other stuff in the jeep it kept falling or was in the way. I appreciate the info everyone, thanks

Got mine installed today. I'm not very good at fab work, but this turned out ok.

Mount plate installed in ashtray location

100_7123_zpstccjm064.jpg

Builder bracket installed

100_7124_zps31fcbi16.jpg

radio installed

100_7128_zpsai5vhhlv.jpg

curly

looks good to me, I will have to plagiarize your design btw wish I had your garage :)

we'll start with this one then. the mount is a great idea, we borrowed a handheld unit for a few days last summer and with all the other stuff in the jeep it kept falling or was in the way. I appreciate the info everyone, thanks
I clip my beofang to the driver side sun visor. Stays up out of the way and easily accessible. Just reach up and push the button to communicate. Problem for me is the satellite radio often interferes, even at maximum squelch. If mine dies I'll probably try the Yaesu next.