Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

Emergency Tire Valve Stem Replacement

Slashing a valve stem on the trail isn't exactly a frequent problem for most 4x4 rigs, but it can happen. So when I ran across the Colby Valve IndieGoGo campaign, I decided to back it for a few bucks to get a couple of their innovative looking emergency valve stem replacements.

0WveTCXPnZD8TkCUjc14K3CmBvt5wKvZzbYSBuzSef-McCdQODYgw_2kpxWw059SWIuG9tBVvRlq2N208bPD1G9xydT2EXyjiLjbWZ3Q5L32OFGG0hfvisOTgYtblK-E9OWZa5nHZVFm4bg7AVfDgW1LLocqm2bCAeEOIBJUpEzfY2VSxIZyP7wZX_aR4gwpwjuPZuvoGvsW-GlStNe9hSymzWt3jZMMwMWel6fIOmwAhLXQKHQRMBf7JYmaXAD_zQAUNWCqu6bWIc3wnj7DbScsHhLAvvQvIIqGggNrkYekZ-N0-lL0UPes4EkmTceZtU6NrllznYWfE2K9M3HGWhsd29sYCUUpUa9MoEA0MMUTk0EfMy-YQfFOQtPzyJRnpfk7ZdKlqWo95gVf5LL6-bbqo3iFEZjVWG4iHyp_dEEOW-JKc0imoSwvq64b5wBzuy_UT4DGODUNhJDpn2BX9vsKiSDVJM2B3IO7lGoIEFQyg9-5ClFdBEz-32R4einUpLHTwDpLB_TzdIvPRBJQS_FjrrtBtWsij9oiEAbr6zQGxOFzKpfP5N4dSJmlDtx1mmoGhEYjfO_M6cfYwVFpAq0Me7QCIvb8aDzUQL2_fBTTyR6qKYZzbJ1areDInsLG4QDLrZEFdtaUx2bOKViIKLQlMoJYauTLf1DqM1hq1A=s800

With the Colby Valve, replacing a valve stem without un-mounting a tire is supposedly just a few seconds work and doesn't require any tools. The design seems straightforward and I don't see any reason it shouldn't work just as described. Be sure to take a look at their video on http://www.colbyvalve.com for details.

Here's a closeup of the Colby Valve compared to a regular stem:

zrRVqAfQyqnmYWRzOvJlnmctau6V48Uv8Dqo3bUtDx79I-K2auvRxBtiglYzkf6XbgnilnmfKautp7z41QAiMA9H0yX4q2OIZPXtZZGGyFoPf-K-ztqy47sA3zGaw2zgViP5GZE4vMm21boVyAwnTxBeKqpbj6A9yXobAC4feRbbVVLjAEiS_-4muSLP0_dIL5ysDBIdlPle3hkkYR2RzBFeIFQz7V_gc20BCoiTNFGIZQmZfOxWwuIw20F7cjUncHGx8AaEVCB8Rq6nHb8OPqiFhyR3ce8T9b51w7Uz7-RN-5dOFikc9kkmXe-b118vkfQHnfw_cUqUxRw9BuNICVVIuE05NAUfCzbXwgDbQXyv_tW16_r66cWtJ6VMwD2_slZjpPB4_qqO2XL_MgapcsQ1G0EiwdEkh5uRzO7sKEwMEds7v8LLpTHz8MzJUh7uJoVldPoIvncfCZXGQP6Y1E23uOwkkpqtZloQS_UzebDGH4XEFEqONCf4iQdzRhjIvyPuzTs9SZyUABmbACUKPwZZjCTx5edbfnOXwgrfWh_ZPyRHoOZSIav-Z4p8xFXl1MVO0TUI1cRPH4mBXDUQBCI-OTgtm1VLufY7LNKvJOeRK_bleZw_tNCIG0H5LfLkohBeqM5Epxf7y3PggqP_zhbD-BGbGRDBj2HaeM5qzw=s800

The current price is a fair bit higher than what I paid to back their startup campaign. Are they worth it for the convenience? I guess that depends on how well the alternatives work.

Tools to do the same sort of "outside the wheel" change with a regular valve stem do already exist. This one on Amazon gets a nearly perfect rating in fact. I'm hoping someone here has used one of those style tools and can let us know how quick and easy it worked?

That's a great idea. I have seen several stems ripped off including the one my wife's horse ripped off the trailer with his hoof.

I have also lost a valve stem on my ford while getting items out of the bed and using the axle as a step. Slipped off and broke teh valve stem. Had to change tire to get home. This would have been a lot faster and left me with a spare while on the trail.

I seen these just the other day and have considered replacing the ones in my rig with their permanent series ones. 5 of em is like 80 bucks or so. but I may just buy the 4 pack and then keep em in the jeep as back ups.