Sign in to follow this  
DanJL

Advance Adaptor 4x4 cable replacement kit

My Jeep has a bit of a trouble getting in 4x4 Low, so at G.'s advice, I've purchased a while back the ADVANCED ADAPT 4WD SHIFT CABLE JK 715596.

I'm in the process of installing it, but I'm not going to journal all the steps, since one can find the instructions that come with the kit right here: http://www.advanceadapters.com/downloads/715596.pdf

However, I will detail things that I've experienced and are not documented.

1. The shifter knobs need to be removed. They are so tight that I had to run to Home Depot and buy a 10' 2x4 to use as leverage. See the pic below:

IMG_0540.thumb.jpg.abca13f3eb882d69323975e03fc3fc00.jpg

I 've made a noose around the knob and used the 2x4 to pull it, but it was still not coming out. I had to use a ladder to get a better angle and finally they've popped.

IMG_0541.thumb.jpg.819169d3016eb412e9c9739ee996441b.jpg

2. The instructions are not updated for the newer JK, but overall still accurate. One thing to note is that removing the console is much more complicated than illustrated by AA: seems that they've used a stripped down model that had no electrical connections (console USB/Illumination/120V/cig lighter) or 2nd row power windows. All those cables have connections that are hidden and required blind removal.

More to come.

Nice use of the 2x4 and the ladder.

Improvise, adapt, and overcome!

Dan, I am glad that you are doing this before I order my shift kit. I did not think it would be easy to install. Thanks for doing this and sharing your experience.:)

G:cool:

Dan, I am glad that you are doing this before I order my shift kit. I did not think it would be easy to install. Thanks for doing this and sharing your experience.:)

George, at least on yours the installation instructions will be (more) accurate, and the console should come out much easier since you don't have the electronics that the new JKs have.

One error though in their documentations: the shifter assembly can't be removed without removing first the covering plate. It is secured by 4 screws, and the fourth one is not accessible until the cover plate is removed. Here's the plate in question:

6500147_ScreenShot2017-02-13at8_35_48PM.thumb.jpg.7c49cb30c38c24833353c9e533ac4934.jpg

Tomorrow I'll drop the skid plates and the front drive shaft. I don't get why don't they reuse the factory lever by the drive shaft - based on their video it looks made of metal and quite solid - that wouldn't force disconnecting the front drive shaft.

This is a very nice add-on. I got it, after George recommended it to me a few years ago. Now it will be exchanged with a bigger part from Advance Adapters :D.

This is a very nice add-on. I got it, after George recommended it to me a few years ago. Now it will be exchanged with a bigger part from Advance Adapters :D.

Let me know if you want to sell it to me:)

Let me know if you want to sell it to me:)

The jeep, the shifter cable or the bigger part from Advance Adapters ?

The jeep, the shifter cable or the bigger part from Advance Adapters ?

The shifer cable, I thought you were switching to a different cable for the Atlas.

George, since I have the skids out, how often do you change the transfer case oil? Mine is still the original (2014).

1. The shifter knobs need to be removed. They are so tight that I had to run to Home Depot and buy a 10' 2x4 to use as leverage. I 've made a noose around the knob and used the 2x4 to pull it, but it was still not coming out. I had to use a ladder to get a better angle and finally they've popped.
Ran into a similar issue when removing the shifter bezel from my AW4 but my console isn't nearly as complex as yours:eek: