Sign in to follow this  
jburns

2000 JGC limited 4.7 tire issues?

Any have a jgc wj 4.7 limited with quadratrac II system? I just did a 2.5 inch spacer lift and put on 2657017 on it which are 31.9 10.4 on 17s. So, got them on and now my abs light is pretty much on all the time, feels very sluggish, occasionally in limp mode, and seems to sputter as I step on the gas. Recently, I'm getting a nasty loud clicking/ rattling noise which I think is in the top of the engine somewhere as far as I can tell. Oh and last time on the highway... it jerked violently as if I was clotheslined?

Now, ,my last wj was a 2004 Laredo 4.7. Did a 4inch lift and same size tires with no issues. If I remember right they were on stock wheels.

The only difference between the 2 is the fact that currently have a limited? I have clue why I'm running into issues on the tires?

It was suggested to me to get the super chips flashpaq to help with the shift points? Never once did it ask me to enter the new tire size. But I initially set it up for normal driving. Which it did help with the shift point as far as I could tell. But having all this stuff happen I did reset the tuner back to stock and it's still acting up just not as bad?

Everything I'm reading on could be the cv shafts, the ? Ecm and pcu? (Can't remember the 2 names exactly) and possible transmission???

As I'm writing this, I think the abs light was kicking on before the tire change so I'm thinking it's one of things that is just going out?

As for everything else I guess I'll have to try and hunt down a good mechanic who can tell me everything wrong with this thing.

Figured I'd ask here since there's a good group of wj owners on here hopefully some of these issues sound familiar?

guess it's my excuse to getting a Wrangler again

My husband would know better but the jerked violently on the highway and the limp mode happened when our transmission went out. It downshifted rapidly on us while going 70 on the freeway and slammed us into 2nd gear. Felt like someone slammed the brakes on. No codes were thrown from what I remember. We ended up putting in a rebuilt transmission. I'll ask him to read your thread as well and give his thoughts.

tire size does affect shift points and using one of the several devices that are available to calibrate the speedo will help that. this is most noticeable on long hill climbs at highway speed where it won't downshift at the right times until calibrated.

however, even a huge change in tire size wouldn't send you into tranny limp mode or cause the sort of chaos you mentioned.

usually there is a code about input/output speed not matching or something along those lines if something trans related is wrong. unfortunately the same codes can mean bad sensors, a bad solenoid pack, or it can be a mechanically damaged tranny. if i remember right, p7xx are all trans related codes. do the key trick and let us know what codes you find currently...

one of the most common and cheaper things to try are the 2 speed sensors on the tranny. also check the wiring near the connector for the one that is towards the front. the wires gets damaged sometimes due to rubbing on a linkage cable that goes near it.

like kaspily/bradywgn, i also had to replace my tranny in the old WJ. i think i paid under $600 for a very low mileage one and put it in myself... not horrible, but kind of a PITA.

Sweet. Thanks all. I know I had one of my techs at work use his obd reader and I got a bunch of codes that even he's never seen??? Gotta love jeeps to be going through this and still want to get another one

Zeroed in on what soinds like a constant ticking on the top side of the engine. It's not a knocking noise for sure. Feels like I'll be needing to find a mechanic to check on the ?knockers? Possible fuel pump, spark plugs... pretty much a handful of stuff I have no time for. Even worse I'm in a new state, all my tools are 4 states away and I'm in an apartment.

Pretty much, I got that horrible ticking noise when I drive which comes and goes. feels like it sputters when driving , when taking a turn and on the highway when I get to about 60mph.

Recently it's died on me a few times out of the blue? Especially if I stop too fast?

Just gotta find the time to find a good mechanic in my area get it looked over.

got a big ol list of things to fix and replace.

Being my 2nd grand Cherokee. I thought I new what I was getting into. Never had a problem with my last one. And the more research I'm doing I'm finding out that the 4.7s are problematic?

i don't have actual numbers on the 4.7 WJ's to know if a high percentage of them had major problems or not, but based on my own experience and that of a handful of people i know - they don't seem like the most reliable engine ever produced!

if you look on forums you'll see a lot of combustion leaks (usually head-gasket) and dropped valve seat issues at well under 200k miles. warped heads can also be a problem, but usually only after overheating due to some other malfunction. i think there are some common issues with lifters as well, which might be your ticking.

it's my personal wild theory that the 4.7 is just physically too large for the WJ's engine bay which leads to some hot spots and the resulting constant uneven thermal expansion/contraction isn't a good thing especially on an engine with so much aluminum.