Sign in to follow this  
reybie

Pismo Beach (Oceano Dunes)

I'm not sure where I read about this place, since then I've always wanted to go there and experience it for myself. It doesn't require a souped up 4x4 so I figured one of these days we'd be able to check it out. It finally happened, on the way to SF, we took the coastal route and made the stop. It was just Cheryl and I on this trip so nobody's asking if we're there yet!

We finally made the stop to Pismo Beach/Oceano Dunes and for $5 fee, we were driving on the beach! It was a little cold that day so we didn't stay very long, drove a few miles up and down just enjoying the scenery. There were mentions of how crowded the place can be during the holidays but we were there on an off day so that was a good thing. We made it to the dunes entrance but didn't venture in because we have zero experience driving on that kind of terrain plus we were by ourselves and would be at the mercy of good samaritans (if any) should we get stuck lol. We had portable air with us but still didn't have the cajones to go at it alone. A couple of pics below... a little cloudy day but still a good and memorable experience. I wouldn't mind doing it again during the summer months or when the opportunity presents itself.

20170324_135147.thumb.jpg.4e5d493dcf6d2adf9cdce1a1438d2c46.jpg

20170324_140207.thumb.jpg.8d188b0f17f0070982d2d55537d80cb6.jpg

20170324_140403.thumb.jpg.74a1f5c0de777da187c2ee716dbacf24.jpg

haven't made it Oceano yet, but i've driven on a beach and is is one of those things you just have to do at some point!

thanks for sharing the pics and don't forget to wash the rig as soon as possible so it doesn't rust from the salt.

I love Pismo! Great photos.

I want to go there sometime!

Sweet ! ! ! Pismo can be a BLAST ! ! ! It's been years for me, but it's always entertaining, and when not crowded, it's beautiful... ;)

Cool! I've always wanted to check that out. So glad you guys took the time to go there - and also to post the pictures here for us to see! Thanks!

Nice photos thanks for sharing.

Are you there yet?

Pismo Beach and Oceano Dunes, sweet!

We went for the first time last summer for Jeep Beach West. It was my first time on the dunes and great to have the company of a couple hundred Jeep folks there to show me the way. It's an annual event and I will definitely be back for the next one. The great thing is we got to camp on the beach and play in the dunes and never had to touch pavement all weekend!

I believe the organizers said they have to move the date from June to October or November this year at the request of the State Park folks who run the dunes.

Anyone wanting to know more about Jeep Beach West can check out their website at http://www.jeepbeachwest.com

Maybe we can get a group to head up together for the next one!