Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

4/29/2017: Smartphone/Tablet GPS & Mapping Clinic in North Phoenix

IMG_9174-13.jpgWyCpMfn-wmqBt2WSxRPhh29Bu9M21Aiqcs5sF8LLL0phsZMd3rhvb8zn0saQvENJhb_y=s250IMG_3284.JPG

What:

An introductory clinic on using a modern smartphone or tablet as a GPS & topo mapping tool for off-highway travel.

The concepts presented should apply to nearly any popular GPS/mapping app on Android or iOS, however
we will be specifically teaching the Android app "AlpineQuest"

Topics to be covered:

- A quick refresher on common terminology (waypoints, tracks, maps, etc.)

- Overview of the main features/interface elements in AlpineQuest and similar apps

- Which map sources to use for different activities

- Downloading maps for offline use before leaving pavement

- Loading tracks & waypoints from the internet/friends (GPX files)

- Recording your own tracks & waypoints and how to share those

- For
Premium Club Members
: How to download and install our pre-made maps of AZ & UT (and other states soon)

The main class will be about 2 hours then we'll do Q&A and can help with individual tablet/app setup if there is time. Bring your Android device so you can follow along (WiFi is available).

When:

Saturday April 29th, 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM.

Where:

theksmith's house in north Phoenix (near the 51 & 101). Directions will be PM'd to those on the attending list.

Important Info:

• This clinic is free for all Offroad Passport Premium Club members! Others may attend with a $20 donation to the club (only one donation per family is requested).

• This event is limited to 10 attendees.

• Bring a pen/pencil and a clipboard or book to write on; we'll give everyone an outline for reference but you'll probably want to take notes as this is a lot of information all at once!

• Offroad Passport will provide bottled water. Feel free to bring your own drink/snack too.

Attending:

theksmith (teaching)

dzJeepChic & Number7 (assisting/modeling)

1. JohnPa

2. kaspily & 3. Bradywgn71

4. t535

5. gunner

6. Jeep4Fun

7. JeepUniq

Simply reply to this thread to sign up!

Katie and I would like to attend please

I was recently thinking about asking you to do this again - the last time was great and very informative!

Thanks for doing this for us again!

We'll be there. Always something new to learn!

I'd like to add that the $10 cost for AlpineQuest is a one time deal. No additional fees like Backcountry Navigator if you want their premium maps.

Sounds interesting. I'm off but I'm an Apple user and it doesn't appears to be available for iOS. Bummer. =(

Sounds interesting. I'm off but I'm an Apple user and it doesn't appears to be available for iOS. Bummer. =(

Same thoughts for me except I also plan to be up near Page exploring (I hope) a couple of side canyons. Maybe find some slot sections.

Apple peeps:

I believe MotionX and Gaia are still the 2 most popular outdoor GPS/mapping apps for iOS. The concepts and terminology we'll cover certainly apply to those apps as well, so this might still be beneficial to a beginner considering using an Apple device for offroad nav - you're welcome to attend!

However, if you've already tinkered with those or similar apps on iOS then you probably wouldn't get anything substantial out of the class.

I look forward to it!!

Room for 1 more? Al