Sign in to follow this  
JeepUniq

Which CB or HAM Radio should I get for my Jeep?

There's no one size fits all answer when choosing what type of radio should you get for off roading, but we cover some of the things you should consider in our article 'Which CB or HAM Radio should I get for my Jeep?'

fbb75d_a94c91aa555d41d98be4a15746f2b8a4~mv2.png

There's no one size fits all answer when choosing what type of radio should you get for off roading, but here are some considerations:

What is your club using?

Most clubs require at minimum that members carry a CB Radio, while others encourage use of a HAM Radio. See more on the pros/cons of CB vs. HAM below, but it is safe to say that a CB Radio is a must.

Considering a HAM Radio?

While not a deal breaker per se, one must be a licensed HAM operator to legally transmit using a HAM radio. However one could just listen to the instructions and HAM chat and respond if necessary using a CB.

Why use two radios? Well, the answer lies into one of the biggest advantages of HAM over CB radio: quality of reception. CB is very noisy, even more so when using a short, and/or inside the vehicle antenna. HAM, even handheld units, has a much, much, much cleaner and clearer reception.

Handheld or Vehicle Mounted radios?

Again, not a quick answer. There are big differences between handheld CB, vehicle mounted CB, handheld HAM, and vehicle mounted HAM radios.

Continue Reading: JeepUniq