Sign in to follow this  
dzJeepChic

Backway to Crown King Blocked?

I came across a post on facebook regarding the route from Lake Pleasant to Crown King, AKA, the Backway to Crown King. Apparently a mining claim along the route has diverted water across the road and put a bunch of boulders in the right of way. One comment says you need a 'crazy rock climber' to get past the spot.

Read the most recent comments after the trail description at ArizonaOffroading.com: http://azoffroading.com/arizona-trails/backway-to-crown-king/

Yea saw this as well. Pretty wild.

Especially the encounter that people reported a few weeks ago. They said the miner held them at gunpoint and demanded money in order to pass through.

It's okay, thanks for the info.

Yea saw this as well. Pretty wild.

Especially the encounter that people reported a few weeks ago. They said the miner held them at gunpoint and demanded money in order to pass through.

I haven't seen those posts, that's nuts!

Yea, apparently he demanded $200 each from the group. The other members of the group were also armed.

From what I understand, they were able to convey that info and talk him out of Mexican stand off.

I was always told " believe none of what you hear and half of what you see". From what I am reading it was dark" later than 8pm" and instead of driving down the creek where the road has been for at least a year, he tried to drive thru the mine where the miner lives. It's a dead end.

Yea who knows. I wouldnt doubt they were trespassing.

But then again in AZ land owners must post a sign at every entrance otherwise they have no grounds to press charges, let alone act a fool.

In August there were signs everywhere at that point telling people to keep out and the route was definitely diverted into the creek bed. We were actually going to attempt this last weekend in David's XJ, but our traveling partner ended up not being able to go. We weren't going to attempt it alone (again).