Sign in to follow this  
DanglyShackles

My '99 Dubya

I'm going to start this thread with a warning: Updates will be SLOOOOOW!

That being said, I just moved to Washington from Hawaii 5 days ago and, all stereotypes and premonitions considered, was instantly on the hunt for a Jeep. I've heard tale of the inclement weather, great off-road opportunities and overall necessity for an all wheel drive vehicle in the Pacific Northwest, thus convincing me to hunt for the perfect Chrysler-built SUV.

Cue my newly purchased 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

VUYJLwF.jpg

Purchased for the meager sum of $1400 American pesos and driven 45 miles home from the location of purchase. Just from that short adventure, I can tell she's a pretty skookum choocher. That being said, this build will be very slow. Like, federal tax returns slow. But as time goes on, I will be updating this thread as often as modifications are made. My goal is to follow in the footsteps of the illustrious TheKSmith with his previous WJ build and hopefully come close to his level of glory. But for now, this is all I have. A stock WJ with, what I'm led to believe, is the OEM brush guard. No more, no less.

*Edit: turns out it's a Hunter brush guard.

:welcome: and looking forward to the build!

:welcome: and looking forward to the build!

Thank you for the welcome! Sadly, this build will be painfully slow. My apartment complex doesn't allow vehicle maintenance of any kind on the property so, even as I accumulate parts, I'll need to make a couple buddies in my area that would be willing to help a newbie out. But I will be accumulating parts!

So, over the last couple of days, I've noticed some unusual noises coming from the front end at any and all speeds. I made an appointment with a local shop that came well recommended by Yelp for a basic diagnosis, and it turns out my front passenger wheel bearing and shock are toasted and my power steering pump is slowly kicking the bucket. There goes any plans for a lift or new tires for a couple months.

have you looked for a DIY garage in your area (where you just rent a bay by the hour or day)? the unit bearing and shock are extremely easy fixes and a great way to start becoming familiar with your rig if you had a place to do the repairs yourself... PS pump isn't hard either, but sometimes the connection on one of the hose ends can be seized and be a PITA.

My first update! I spent all day yesterday elbow deep in the old girl (I hear people pay good money for that experience) and got both of my front unit bearings replaced! Unfortunately, I was so focused on getting the job done right that I didn't take any progress pictures. I'll let you guys use your imaginations, but it is safe to say I used every four letter word I know and a couple I made up on the spot during the whole thing. Seized bolts, bruised and bloodied knuckles, and more grease than a Chinese takeout kitchen. But after all is said and done, she rolls like a bowling ball down a freshly oiled lane.

Of course, as in true Jeep fashion, a new issue arises just as an old one is solved. This morning I found a moderate amount of coolant in the passenger footwell (read a kiddie pool's worth of green liquid) and discovered that my heat no longer works and, with a "bing" that could be heard for miles, my overhead unit let me know of a Low Coolant status. Goodbye heater core. Now I know a lot of people here are going to frown on my decision, but it's the only thing I can afford to do at the moment, I will be disconnecting the heater hoses at the thermostat and looping them back together doing a heater core bypass, just until I can afford to have a shop install a new one or find an empty parking lot and 12 hours to pull my dash and install a new one myself.

it's always something!

nothing wrong with bypassing the heater core... till middle of winter anyway ;)

it's always something!

nothing wrong with bypassing the heater core... till middle of winter anyway ;)

Hopefully I can get this beast fixed before then! I've never experienced a real winter before so I have no idea what to expect :eek:

follow in the footsteps of the illustrious TheKSmith

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This cracked me up.

Another guy on here has a dub with that brush guard, it's even the same color Jeep. In fact for a second there I thought you bought his Jeep! :cool:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This cracked me up.

Another guy on here has a dub with that brush guard, it's even the same color Jeep. In fact for a second there I thought you bought his Jeep! :cool:

Lol sounds like that guy has some good taste! :cool: