Sign in to follow this  
DanglyShackles

Jeep WJ wheel hub replacement

I've done a bit of searching online and a quick browse through this forum, but I thought I'd come to the experts here with my question directly. I'm planning on swapping out my front passenger wheel hub sometime soon and was wondering if anyone could give me a comprehensive list of tools I'll need to get the job done. I don't have my own tools or a garage to work in so I'll be going to a self serve garage and I'll have to rent each tool needed for the job. I'm trying to compile a list of everything I'll need to rent so I can see what kind of costs I should expect and save up for.

Edit: Unless there is a kind soul in or around the area I'm living in that would be willing to lend me a hand and some knowledge lol.

I see you are in Washington. I don't know how much of a factor rust is going to be for you, but I suggest you slide under the jeep and take a look at the back side of the steering knuckle at the bolts that hold the hub (and the brake caliper bolts as well) to see if they are rusted. If so, you either want to start spraying them down with Kroil or some other rust buster before you start. Also, IIRC, the hub bolts are Torx style, at least I think they are. I don't know the sizes of the tools you need, but the job is pretty straight forward. Don't forget to bring a new cotter pin for the axle and have the torque specs for the axle nut ,hub bolts, caliper and lug nuts.

Curly

I see you are in Washington. I don't know how much of a factor rust is going to be for you, but I suggest you slide under the jeep and take a look at the back side of the steering knuckle at the bolts that hold the hub (and the brake caliper bolts as well) to see if they are rusted. If so, you either want to start spraying them down with Kroil or some other rust buster before you start. Also, IIRC, the hub bolts are Torx style, at least I think they are. I don't know the sizes of the tools you need, but the job is pretty straight forward. Don't forget to bring a new cotter pin for the axle and have the torque specs for the axle nut ,hub bolts, caliper and lug nuts.

Curly

Thank you for the insight. I didn't even think about rust being a factor, but there's a pretty damn good chance that she'll be crustier than week old french bread. I will definitely be sliding under her the next chance I get to assess everything you've mentioned and start lubing up those nuts & bolts.