Lichen

Throw-out Bearing

The throw-out bearing in my FJC has been doing some squealing for a couple of months now. How long can I safely keep driving it before having it replaced? I've never had a Toyota part wear out with so few miles on it (25,000). Have any of you Toyota people had one replaced and how much money am I looking at?

Mitchell On-Demand shows 7.0 hrs to replace the bearing, so....what ever shop you choose will most likely charge their hourly rate x 7hrs, plus the cost of the bearing, shop supplies, etc.

How long can you drive with it like this? I wouldn't care to guess, but if it does fail, it could wind up costing you more than a Throwout bearing.

Mitchell On-Demand shows 7.0 hrs to replace the bearing, so....what ever shop you choose will most likely charge their hourly rate x 7hrs, plus the cost of the bearing, shop supplies, etc.

How long can you drive with it like this? I wouldn't care to guess, but if it does fail, it could wind up costing you more than a Throwout bearing.

Agreed. I would not be putting a bunch of miles on it, until you get it repaired... ;)

Thanks, guys. I was figuring at least $1000. It seems to be a common problem in FJCs.

http://www.urdusa.com

Lichen, it's been a few years since I heard about this, but I remember there might be a sleeve fix for this issue with the 6-speed Tundra's, FJ's, and Taco's (part-$225). A good resource may be the "Blue Room" i.e. fjcruiserforums.com as scottL referenced.

Thanks, Curbjumper. I think this is the route that I'm going to take.

I bought the parts that Curbjumper suggested for $250. I just dropped it off at the shop where labor will be about $1000. I figured that I should get it done before The Cinders, just in case.

Hi Lichen, I'm checking in on your FJ.

P.S... I now have a "Phillips DreamStation" and seeking cool ideas for my battery.

Hey, Paul.

The FJ is fine now I run a Luna duel battery set-up, but there are probably some better options out there.