Sign in to follow this  
DanglyShackles

Grant County, Oregon bound!

Next week Friday I'll be taking my first ever road trip out to Eastern Oregon from Western Washington to see the eclipse and hang out with a high school friend from Hawaii. Coincidentally, it will be my first time driving my WJ further than 60 miles. Is there anything I should prepare myself for? Jeep-specific or just for a long road trip in general?

Bring a basic set of tools and spare parts. First-aid kit.

i'm guessing you're headed down far enough to see the "total" eclipse? i'm jealous if so!

IMO, the bare minimum for any road trip, even in a rental or brand new car:

extra water and snacks

any medicines you might need if your stay was longer than anticipated

first-aid kit

inflated spare and jack

flashlight

knife

coat/jacket

check all your fluids and tires before you go, grease any joints if there's time

easy bonus items:

maps

a small survival kit (space blanket, etc.)

basic hand tools

zip-ties/duct-tape/bailing wire/jb-weld

compressor and patch kit

a spare serpentine belt and idler pulleys

Bring a basic set of tools and spare parts. First-aid kit.

Definitely have the first-aid kit already prepped in the car (a cheap Wal-Mart kit, but it works) and a cheap Harbor Freight "mechanics tool set" stashed away as well. What kind of spare parts should I carry with me?

i'm guessing you're headed down far enough to see the "total" eclipse? i'm jealous if so!

IMO, the bare minimum for any road trip, even in a rental or brand new car:

extra water and snacks

any medicines you might need if your stay was longer than anticipated

first-aid kit

inflated spare and jack

flashlight

knife

coat/jacket

check all your fluids and tires before you go, grease any joints if there's time

easy bonus items:

maps

a small survival kit (space blanket, etc.)

basic hand tools

zip-ties/duct-tape/bailing wire/jb-weld

compressor and patch kit

a spare serpentine belt and idler pulleys

Lol yes I'm heading down for the eclipse. My buddy bought a Ranch out there recently and it just happens to be in the perfect place to view it.

Any chance you could elaborate on the details of the survival kit? I've never had to prepare for anything like this before so I'm completely in the dark haha.

Any chance you could elaborate on the details of the survival kit? I've never had to prepare for anything like this before so I'm completely in the dark haha.

man that's a can of worms - it's easy to over do it... you can get as "prepared" as you want with the whole bug-out bag, but for a basic road trip none of it is probably necessary.

i already mentioned knife and flashlight, so i'd say add in a space blanket, waterproof matches or lighter and call it good!

we've got a sub-forum for all that sort of stuff here: https://offroadpassport.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25 - and there are several entire forums out there dedicated to survival and emergency readyness. here's a thread with what my personal bag had several years ago, it's changed very little since then: https://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=573

also we forgot to mention jumper cables or a portable jump-starter and a fire extinguisher are always good to have!

again though: water, food, appropriate clothing and common sense are the important things. the big rules are just to always let someone know your approximate route and when to expect you or when to start worrying, and if lost or broken down - stay with the vehicle!

I just want to say thank you for walking me through the prep work for the road trip, I took the advice given and when I was done, it looked like I was headed out for a month long camping trip haha! But because of that, I had zero hesitations about making the trip. They probably don't belong here but, I'll throw up a couple pictures from my excursion as soon as I can get them off my DSLR.