Sign in to follow this  
mbuckner

tj overheating with a/c on ?????

Hello,

After a water pump and thermostat replacement, the TJ dash gauge and the Scan Gauge shows an increase in water temperature when the A/C is turned on. So I replaced the thermostat again with a new thermostat housing and radiator cap, but that did not help. With the A/C on, it does take about 5 miles of street driving for it to slowly start to rise; when it hits 225°F the A/C is turned off. The temperature will gradually move back down to the 210°F range and turning on the cab heater helps it move down faster. Also, I have not noticed any coolant movement to and from the overflow tank. I will check that again.

The front of the radiator been checked blockage and found none, but I am still going to spary some water just to see if anything falls out.

Maybe the temperature sending unit is putting out false readings ... if cleaning does not work, I'll check the thermostat housing with a infrared temperature gun.

Anyone else have suggestions on areas to check?

Best regards,

Mike

Hello Kris,

It has been burped ... I am sure it has the correct water pump ... but will check again .....

Looks like there is only one part number for a 2001 TJ Sport 4.0 .... no rotation option .....

This thread was posted here sometime ago, you may have read it and may be familiar with it. I thought it was a good step by step to diagnosing a cooling problem so I figured it was worth posting a link.

https://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3665

Thank you for the reminder ..... I'll read it again ......

Hosed down the A/C condensor and radiator ... looked clean .......

Then ran the TJ at idle for 45 minutes and the highest temp was 213° ... ran the RPM up to 2000 and the temp dropped to 204°F.

Now I am wondering if the fan never kicks out and restricts air flow through the radiator at higher MPH.

At what speed should the fan clutch disengage?

How many miles are on the Jeep? Did you get OEM parts or after market parts? It sounds like the new parts caused an over heating problem, so you have to retrace your steps and find out what part is bad.

G:cool:

How many miles are on the Jeep? Did you get OEM parts or after market parts? It sounds like the new parts caused an over heating problem, so you have to retrace your steps and find out what part is bad.

G:cool:

Hi George,

Thanks for the reply. The odometer reads 131,298 miles; all NAPA parts have been installed.

I would like to try and eliminate the fan clutch and the temperature sensor as the problem

before going back through all the parts that have been replaced. If they pass, then it's back

to another thermostat replacement.

Best regards,

Mike

Any update Mike? What things have you done since last post, and any results?