Sign in to follow this  
johnpa

XJ Tailgate Latch Upgrade

Group,

My old Sergeant has an XJ and the rear hatch latch handle has broken twice. He is rough on his vehicles. I had him order a replacement from Rockauto but the inner latch is made of plastic. Has anyone seen or bought a latch which is made of metal?

Thanks

Johnpa

Do you mean the black plastic tab that sticks out just below the button where the key goes in? Mine broke (opened the hatch up against a wood beam) and I've just lifted by grabbing under the hatch itself. As soon as you push the button in the hatch pops a bit and it's easy to lift as long as the gas struts are good. tell him to fuggetaboutit.

Group,

My old Sergeant has an XJ and the rear hatch latch handle has broken twice. He is rough on his vehicles. I had him order a replacement from Rockauto but the inner latch is made of plastic. Has anyone seen or bought a latch which is made of metal?

Thanks

Johnpa

What year is his Jeep? I'm trying to figure out what part you're asking about because mine doesn't have a latch handle, but I think my 01 might have, I just can't remember.

There are no replacement metal latches I've ever heard of.

On '97-'01 Cherokee's the latch handle is plastic and the "push rod" it activates is made of metal. The push rod fastening clips get loose over time which slowly allows it to ease away from the handle and eventually your hatch becomes difficult if not impossible to open. Anybody who has ever tried to open mine when I am weighed down with trail gear knows the feeling. I've let the issue go on for years because I learned to push against my hatch right below the handle which, if timed correctly, activates the latch.

The Sergeant more than likely has this same issue and could be trying too hard to wrench it open time and time again.

This kid illustrates in depth