Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

4x4 Rigs in Iceland

IMG_2252 copy.jpg

gott kvöld! - or good evening in icelandic! Aimee and i are on our honeymoon over here and i thought you guys might like to see some of the interesting rigs we've seen...

the Suzuki brand is alive and well here. i dig the little Jimmy's they make, which are basically modern versions of the Samurai.

IMG_2335 copy.jpg

everything that's lifted with 40" or larger tires is a "Superjeep"... Mercedes, Ford, Toyota, Land Rover, etc. - it's still a superjeep. in fact i've only seen one actual lifted Jeep (a 4 door JK). the old style Defenders are quite popular but usually have a milder lift and tire size. we've seen a ton of Toyotas, Lexus, Nissans and even mini tour busses/vans lifted to superjeep status.

IMG_2344 copy.jpg

all the superjeeps have extremely wide tires, probably 15"+. the large footprint is mainly for floatation on the snow, though it obviously helps with sand and mud as well.

we saw this neat tracked thing parked on a glacier while we were on a snowmobile tour.

IMG_2366 copy.jpg

this is our trusty Hyundai Santa Fe rental. it's full-time AWD, but has a center diff lock button to turn it into real 4WD... no low range though!

1028171406_HDR.jpg

we did a short off-highway track on our first day before even making it to the hotel, including a water crossing which made me a little nervous since we were a ways from the highway and i forgot to bring the SPOT! no issues though, we really haven't encountered much mud, most everything is volcanic rock and sand, with some smoother pebbles in places.

1024171040a_HDR.jpg

all the forest roads to the highland interior are already closed for the winter, so we haven't been able to explore too far off the beaten path. there's been plenty of awesome sights anyway though... i'll post a trip report when we get back!

Nice pics! Thanks for sharing.

BTW: Congratulations!

Looks like you guys are having fun - thanks for sharing those pics.

Thanks for taking the time from your HM to share... Looking forward to the final trip report... ;)

Enjoy the trip you love birds.