Sign in to follow this  
Number7

header for 4.0 inline 6

The exhaust manifold on our XJ cracked again. I had three OEM exhaust manifolds crack on me:( This last one had flex pipe on the main tubes and still cracked. Anyone hear running a header? Is there a power gain? Did it crack? What brand is it? Is there a header or a OEM manifold that wont crack? I would like to buy something that lasts.

G:cool:

I can't run an aftermarket header on my Cherokee because of the pre-cats but I've heard good things about Banks headers. Things like quality of construction & power gains from reading the forums. I've seen them for $360 on eBay. Check this out:

The manifolds are fortified with a "revolver" collector which features Banks' patented "Power Pickle" exhaust collector technology. The Revolver manifolds feature a longer center tube in the 6 cylinder exhaust collector which captures exhaust pulse action and turns it into massive torque throughout the operating range. The manifolds also feature self-aligning exhaust seals that will never compress or blow out, double welded manifold tubes, and unrestricted manifold ports.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gbe-51327

My 01 has the Banks Torque Tube header with the precats. IMO, you won't notice much power gains, unless the header is matched with a cold-air intake, larger throttle body, and larger catback exhaust.

My XJ had all the mentioned items, but I didn't really notice any gains. Then again, the parts were installed after the 37" tires and one-ton axles. There was a lot of weight to compensate for. In the end, I did a healthy stroker build this year. I'll update by build thread soon.

My 01 has the Banks Torque Tube header with the precats. IMO, you won't notice much power gains, unless the header is matched with a cold-air intake, larger throttle body, and larger catback exhaust.

My XJ had all the mentioned items, but I didn't really notice any gains. Then again, the parts were installed after the 37" tires and one-ton axles. There was a lot of weight to compensate for. In the end, I did a healthy stroker build this year. I'll update by build thread soon.

David, would you by chance have a part number for your torque tube w/ pre cats? The ones I have found say they are for a Wrangler only.

David, would you by chance have a part number for your torque tube w/ pre cats? The ones I have found say they are for a Wrangler only.

The part # is 51306, it does not come with pre cats.:D

G:cool:

Thanks G. Learn something new everyday:rolleyes:

I didn’t mean to imply that the Banks header came with precats. I just meant that the header is made for 2000+ Jeeps with the precats.

I didn’t mean to imply that the Banks header came with precats. I just meant that the header is made for 2000+ Jeeps with the precats.
Thank you for clarifying.