adriaanvn99

1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ Build

Thats prob the one I sent back after they sent me one rear and one front. I needed two fronts for that order!

Could very well be! Are you running yours yet?

I installed a new oil catch can in the XJ. This baffled can sits inline between your front PCV valve and the intake tube. Previously I was just running a small cone filter, until the other day I decided to take it off and that’s when I noticed that there was quite a bit of oil residue in the hose. Whilst wanting to minimize this entering the air intake, I came across the idea of an oil catch pan. While a decent quality unit can be pretty high priced, I came across this Dromedry unit. I was pretty impressed with the quality and seems like it will do it’s job just alright. From the PCV valve to the inlet I used 1/2 inch hose, and from the outlet to the intake tube I used 3/8 inch hose. Luckily the kit provides fittings for both these sizes.

E581E1CD-B99E-4878-847C-087D961184BF.thumb.jpg.85f42f37a806d81695ebc629f6bd6db7.jpg

9AC14E0C-C8F8-4537-9960-0022054ABB48.thumb.jpg.684b8bd954bf05c4cb96f95b3e60fe4e.jpg

72774787-FB88-44E6-9D13-A155F748A7F8.thumb.jpg.7d14350396591dfd4ef6ea962f1c9cfb.jpg

Switched out the poor quality air filter which I received with my intake kit for a K&N one! The only problem was I bought a 3.5 inch cone filter because it was on sale for $19.99, so I just bought a Spectre 3 inch straight coupler and slipped it over the end. This subsequently gave me the 3.5 inch outer diameter making a nice and snug fit

A8EA1046-417B-45DA-84B1-3B6462CF1101.thumb.jpg.3f53b5aa2f052610bebaf95dc83dfcf5.jpg

The XJ’s hood was starting to look a little tired, which is expected at that age. I thought I would try and give it a good buff with some Meguiars Carnuaba wax to see if it helped, and I think it looks a little better! Now to get the rest of the paint this way, and then some AZ pinstriping :)

EE57C6AA-8580-45F9-972A-DFBC90290E9E.thumb.jpg.e95cc8ee62b623c3b5a7ea66b9650ad5.jpg

758B04BD-E44B-45B3-95CA-990676E63129.thumb.jpg.b6d4a15c02c50e8fa263f3db55663b01.jpg

Nice:cool:

Strange occurrence today. Been driving the XJ for a quite a bit lately and it has been running flawlessly. All of sudden this afternoon I got this deep bass'ed knock on idle. It is not the standard 4.0 chatter/lifter noise. In the attached video, if you listen carefully you can hear the deeper intermittent knock sound. My first thought was a loose flexplate, but I immediately took the inspection cover and my flexplate was torqued to spec. The strangest thing to me is that it is so intermittent and only at idle...

I think worst has come to worst and I will have to retire this 4.0 at 269 000 miles. I will have to drop the pan, but my guess is a spun rod bearing or a cracked piston skirt. I know its hard to tell, but anyone have a better idea perhaps?

It could be piston slap from what I am googling.

Sounds like this guy has the same issue, just more prevalent. Apparently he drove his for another year before the motor locked up if you read the comments:

Is your XJ running warmer than usual?

It could be piston slap from what I am googling.

Sounds like this guy has the same issue, just more prevalent. Apparently he drove his for another year before the motor locked up if you read the comments:

Is your XJ running warmer than usual?

Not at all! In fact it has been running cooler than usual (206°), but I think that’s just because of the hood vents. Oil pressure is good, oil color and smell is good and I haven’t had any problem with loss of power or sluggish acceleration

The XJ is rocking Bilstein 5100's all around now. The ride difference between the RC and Bilsteins is day and night. I get much less road feedback, and almost no body roll when tucking into a corner. The biggest giveaway is with the Rough Country shocks my overhead console would shake uncontrollably when going through the slightest bump in the road. The overhead console stays deadput now when doing the daily commute I used to do!

UPDATE ON KNOCKING:

I purcased a Lisle mechanical stethoscope to try and pinpoint exactly where this knock was coming from. By using this, I could eliminate the fact that it is not lifter noise. I carefully placed the probe along the bottomside of the oil pan along the cylinders. I could not exactly hear the intermittent bump which is causing the concern. I moved further along to the back towards the bellhousing and the sound was slightly more prevalent, but it was getting dark and I was a little rushed. This lead me to think towards that it may the torque converter. When I last torqued my flexplate bolts, I did not notice any cracks in it. Another weird factor is when I pulled the Jeep into the garage, I noticed whilst on the slight incline leading into the garage that it would roll back when in drive. I know for a fact that I have done this previously before when in drive, and although the Jeep wouldn't move forward whilst idling, it would not rollback at all. Is this a possible lead to something else?