adriaanvn99

1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ Build

Addressing Engine Issues:

After sorting out my driveline and suspension upgrades, I will be moving over to the engine. I bought the XJ with 240 000 miles on it, which is a considerable amount but that did not bother me at that stage as I knew I would eventually be replacing the motor. It now has just over 265 000 miles on it so I will be start collecting parts. I am very surprised with how well the engine is performing (touch wood) taking the high mileage into consideration. When I got the Jeep originally, the first thing I did was an oil change, radiator flush, new replacement radiator, new water pump, thermostat, plugs, plug wires, oil pressure sensor, Crankshaft position sensor, starter motor and a battery.

I have always been sold on the "Stroker" engine as a valid replacement. Well after some research and calculations, I am not entirely sure if its worth it. I am overall happy with the stock 4.0's performance and reliability. I think it is a solid all around engine, good low end torque and can cruise pretty comfortable on the interstate. So I came to the thought of why not just keep it close to stock, but upgrade the components. My thoughts are to put in a high performance cam to up the compression to 9.25:1, bore out the cylinders .002, new pistons, rings and conrods, 3 inch high flow exhaust system, 12 hole injectors, 62mm BBK throttle body and a true cold air intake. My hopes are with the higher compression, slightly bigger fuel injectors, bigger exhaust with appropriate backpressure and colder air intake I might see a slight improvement over the stock 4.0, but still have the same reliability as the classic 4.0. I am hoping to find a junkyard engine and bench rebuild it, and then as soon it is ready just swap it out for the current one.

So my plan of action right now is to semi "overhaul" the current engine that is in there. I will start this weekend hopefully by pulling the valve cover, take out the valvetrain and rods and make sure none are sticking, give them a proper clean, retorque the valve train to spec and install a new FelPro gasket. After that I will have to address my timing chain as I am sure there is a little bit of slack and my oil pan leak as well as rear main seal. Once that is addressed the engine should be good for the next several months whilst I start collecting parts for the real engine rebuild.

Again, I am always open to thoughts!

AAh the good ol castor figures.

Mine is off too. Also running fixed lowers.

Addressing Engine Issues:

After sorting out my driveline and suspension upgrades, I will be moving over to the engine. I bought the XJ with 240 000 miles on it, which is a considerable amount but that did not bother me at that stage as I knew I would eventually be replacing the motor. It now has just over 265 000 miles on it so I will be start collecting parts. I am very surprised with how well the engine is performing (touch wood) taking the high mileage into consideration. When I got the Jeep originally, the first thing I did was an oil change, radiator flush, new replacement radiator, new water pump, thermostat, plugs, plug wires, oil pressure sensor, Crankshaft position sensor, starter motor and a battery.

I have always been sold on the "Stroker" engine as a valid replacement. Well after some research and calculations, I am not entirely sure if its worth it. I am overall happy with the stock 4.0's performance and reliability. I think it is a solid all around engine, good low end torque and can cruise pretty comfortable on the interstate. So I came to the thought of why not just keep it close to stock, but upgrade the components. My thoughts are to put in a high performance cam to up the compression to 9.25:1, bore out the cylinders .002, new pistons, rings and conrods, 3 inch high flow exhaust system, 12 hole injectors, 62mm BBK throttle body and a true cold air intake. My hopes are with the higher compression, slightly bigger fuel injectors, bigger exhaust with appropriate backpressure and colder air intake I might see a slight improvement over the stock 4.0, but still have the same reliability as the classic 4.0. I am hoping to find a junkyard engine and bench rebuild it, and then as soon it is ready just swap it out for the current one.

So my plan of action right now is to semi "overhaul" the current engine that is in there. I will start this weekend hopefully by pulling the valve cover, take out the valvetrain and rods and make sure none are sticking, give them a proper clean, retorque the valve train to spec and install a new FelPro gasket. After that I will have to address my timing chain as I am sure there is a little bit of slack and my oil pan leak as well as rear main seal. Once that is addressed the engine should be good for the next several months whilst I start collecting parts for the real engine rebuild.

Again, I am always open to thoughts!

Just R&R'd my Crank position sensor last weekend.. Break out the socket extensions!

Ever heard of 505_Performance? They specialize in jeep motors & stroker kits. I'm considering one of their "built" Edelbrock cylinder heads if my 0331 ever cracks or when my motor dies completely. Plus they're local, just north of Carefree Highway on 7th street.

bummer bro! I’ve heard good things about their 4.0 heads too. Now sounds more like another sh*tty aftermarket company out of az:rolleyes:

Just R&R'd my Crank position sensor last weekend.. Break out the socket extensions!

Ever heard of 505_Performance? They specialize in jeep motors & stroker kits. I'm considering one of their "built" Edelbrock cylinder heads if my 0331 ever cracks or when my motor dies completely. Plus they're local, just north of Carefree Highway on 7th street.

Yep - have replaced mine about 3 times now. Just after I bought it the stock one went out, replaced with a "higher end" BWD as the dealership was out of stock of Mopar ones... Well, the BWD has failed twice now. Managed to replace out of the warranty but my CEL just came on again for the latest replacement (about 3 months old). On the hunt for a Mopar one now.

Thanks for the heads up Kris! I have heard of 505 before, but after following through that thread it doesn't seem like a good option anymore. However, I just came across Titan Engines who seem to have a "high performance" 4.0 with the same specs I had in mind. Anyone ever dealt with them? From what I can see online it seems like a hit and miss...

Got caught up with some schoolwork this weekend so I couldn’t spend a great amount of time on the Jeep unfortunately.

However I did get some stuff done! I’ve never really been convinced about snake oil “engine additives” and such, but today I tried something different. I thought that if the 4.0 managed 260 000 miles, then I’m sure a bit of something couldn’t hurt too much. I decided to use SeaFoam; I added 1/3 of the bottle through my throttle body intake. Let it sit for about 15 minutes and started it up again. I ran between 1000-2800 rpm until all the smoke stopped. I then added 1/3 in the fuel tank and went for a little cruise. Well, I’m happy to say that I do have a slightly smoother idle now as well as the slight hesitation I would get when putting foot around 3200 rpm. It wasn’t anything serious, and never really bothered me but thought it was worthwhile that it was so to say gone.

I have also been driving with my spare tire and hi lift jack in the back to add some weight in the rear in the hopes that it would settle slightly. It seems like the added weight made a slight difference and the rear has settled quite nicely. This is how it is currently sitting

E98C8C7B-5214-4D01-AECA-A70A69C7DA70.thumb.jpg.e5e2e8d0e90419aecd0b9284c1ee428c.jpg

that did settle down perfectly

However, I just came across Titan Engines who seem to have a "high performance" 4.0 with the same specs I had in mind. Anyone ever dealt with them? From what I can see online it seems like a hit and miss...
I've never dealt with Titan before.

I have called Golen & talked to Chad about their 4.6L_Stroker. Pretty sure they offer regular 4.0 rebuilds too. He was very knowledgeable & there is not much if any trash on the internet about them.

I've also talked to someone who bought a stroker from Golen. He was happy with his motor & took me for a ride.

I ended up scrapping the idea due to shipping costs & time. You have to send your core to New Hampshire & wait for them to build your motor before shipping it back. At the time my Jeep was my only vehicle.

If I ever decide to get a new engine I will most likely go with Golen. I'd also want them dyno tuning it to make sure everything works & there are no leaks.

I rebuilt my 4.0 block into a stroker last year. I needed the increased power to deal with the extra weight of my XJ, when driving in the mountains. I bought the parts kit from a shop in LA, that specializes in strokers and has build stroker racing engines for Jeepspeed XJs. Hoppers Automotive in Tempe bored and honed the block. And a friend did the assembly.

I had also called Golen. For their price for a stroker with a forged bottom end, I built mine with the Eldebrock head.