Jump to content
theksmith

What's in your vehicle bug-out/go/emergency bag?

Recommended Posts

I have a simple first aid kit in my truck. I really need to start a BOB. Being I have a full size. I'll probably go big. I always have 5 guys in the truck so extra of everything is probably needed. Do you guys recommend buying a first aid kit or piecing it together?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like piecing it together, you end up replacing a lot of it every year anyway because of the heat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2010 at 3:49 PM, theksmith said:

P1070049.JPG

 

my jeep bug-out-bag is a combination of true emergency items and items that just can make the difference between a good time and heading home early. whether it's a day trip or a camping trip... forgetting things like sunglasses, extra socks, or sunscreen might not be an emergency, but it can certainly ruin the day. this thing stays in the jeep no matter what so i know i am always ready to head off on an adventure at moments notice.

 

 

so i just ran through the pack again to see if i was missing anything and decided to take a picture of the whole thing to share... so what's in my pack?

 

 

  1. mid-weight rei fleece jacket with hood
  2. extra pair of shorts, sweat pants, shirt, socks, underwear
  3. adventure medical kits fundamentals kit (first aid pack)
  4. sawyer snake bite kit, primatene mist, and misc other medicines added to the first aid pack
  5. individually packaged emergency water ration packets
  6. individually packaged emergency food rations
  7. (2) adventure medical kits emergency bivys
  8. katadyn water purification tablets
  9. chlor floc military water purification tablets (works with muddy water)
  10. coughlans survival kit in a can (tons of useful stuff in small space)
  11. sunscreen, bug repelant, chapstick (be sure to put in zip lock bags to prevent leakage, especially due to heat in the car which makes things expand and explode sometimes, plus the bag can be used for lots of situations)
  12. emergency rain poncho
  13. mini hand warmers
  14. arizona recreation map
  15. SAS survival guide mini book (as much to keep the mind busy as for actual survival info)
  16. storm proof matches
  17. petzl e+light (headlamp)
  18. metal trowel
  19. sunglasses
  20. glow sticks
  21. compass
  22. wire saw
  23. toilet paper
  24. multi-tool
  25. bucklite max large (decent size and quality fixed blade knife with solid tang and gut hook)
  26. nalgene bottle
  27. 50' parachute cord style rope
  28. fenix e20 flashlight (not pictured)
  29. pro bar food bars (not pictured)
  30. an unread jeep magazine (not pictured)

 

 

 

realized i need to get still

 

 

  1. quickclot
  2. extra lithium AA batteries
  3. cigarette lighter
  4. flat-pack duct tape

 

 

 

the bag i put it all in is the tacops modular 1.5 day pack. here it is all full, a little bulky, but again this isn't meant to be a pure survival-only kit:

 

P1070052.JPG

 

 

so let's see your setup, i'm sure everyone has some great ideas on other items to carry!

Pretty close to mine, but I tend to carry a little more Ammo, Magazines, 6 quickClot, 3 TQ kits, and 6 of the obligatory Single dose Narcan nose spray. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm kinda modularized (really a word?)

 

In the truck at all times behind the rear seat, on-road, off road, commuting, vacationing, working, etc:

Fire extinguisher

Trauma Bag (think heavy duty first aid - road side accidents)

Stop the Bleed Bag (Quick Clot, Gauze, 2 tourniquets)

Boost Oxygen - https://www.boostoxygen.com/product/natural/

Gloves

Socks

Magnetic flashing lights / Electronic road flares (a word on these later)

Flashlight

Blankets

Space blankets

Ponchos

3 Cig Lighters

Paracord

Ratcheting tie downs and bungee cords (need to replace and upgrade - elastic is dying)

Camo Tarp

Roll of TP

 

Center Console:

Flashlight

Sharpie

Write in the Rain Book

Pen

Spare iOS Cable

Spare sunglasses

Spare cheaters

Boo-Boo Bag

LiPo Battery Charger

iPhone 14 on FirstNet with Satellite SOS

Hard mounted 50w Ham Radio (unlocked)

 

Glove Compartment

Baggie of Drugs - I went on Amazon and bought a box of individual serving ibuprophen, tylenol, benadryl, asprin, immodium, electrolyte tabs, maalox and split them among three cars

Baggie of face masks - carried these well before Covid

Female Pee Funnel (boiled clean)

Manual

Knife

 

Traveling I throw in my Hiking Bag (duplicates by design or convenience):

First Aid

Yaesu FT60 (stepping into an Anytone DMR soon)

Storm proof matches

Cig Lighter

Water Purification Tabs

Shemahg

Socks

Knife

Protein Bar

Water Bladder

Headlight

Flashlight

Poncho

Space blanket

Liquid IV

We also throw in a flat of water and some MRE's before we leave the house

 

Off-Roading I have a Rugged Tub with some recovery gear:

Entrenchment Tool

Tire Deflators and Valve stems

Air Pump

Rope

Snap strap

Shackles

Tire chains if we go into the snow

 

I know this may seem light by some standards but I haven't ever needed more - matter of fact, I haven't needed this much.  I'm sure I can carry more and may amend this over time but that's the most of it.  I find the more you pack, the more it has the potential to become a liability in a collision or roll over.  I don't want to get killed by my survival gear.  So I limit it to the basics:

Shelter

Hydration

Nutrition

Medical

Coms

 

Two books helped me settle on this load out:

98.6 Degrees by Cody Lundin - https://www.codylundin.com/degrees.html

Deep Survival by Laurence Gonzales - https://www.amazon.com/Deep-Survival-Who-Lives-Dies/dp/0393353710

 

Ammo?  No clue what you are talking about.  No firearms in this truck.  ;-)

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2023 at 6:40 AM, GTGallop said:

I'm kinda modularized (really a word?)

 

In the truck at all times behind the rear seat, on-road, off road, commuting, vacationing, working, etc:

Fire extinguisher

Trauma Bag (think heavy duty first aid - road side accidents)

Stop the Bleed Bag (Quick Clot, Gauze, 2 tourniquets)

Boost Oxygen - https://www.boostoxygen.com/product/natural/

Gloves

Socks

Magnetic flashing lights / Electronic road flares (a word on these later)

Flashlight

Blankets

Space blankets

Ponchos

3 Cig Lighters

Paracord

Ratcheting tie downs and bungee cords (need to replace and upgrade - elastic is dying)

Camo Tarp

Roll of TP

 

Center Console:

Flashlight

Sharpie

Write in the Rain Book

Pen

Spare iOS Cable

Spare sunglasses

Spare cheaters

Boo-Boo Bag

LiPo Battery Charger

iPhone 14 on FirstNet with Satellite SOS

Hard mounted 50w Ham Radio (unlocked)

 

Glove Compartment

Baggie of Drugs - I went on Amazon and bought a box of individual serving ibuprophen, tylenol, benadryl, asprin, immodium, electrolyte tabs, maalox and split them among three cars

Baggie of face masks - carried these well before Covid

Female Pee Funnel (boiled clean)

Manual

Knife

 

Traveling I throw in my Hiking Bag (duplicates by design or convenience):

First Aid

Yaesu FT60 (stepping into an Anytone DMR soon)

Storm proof matches

Cig Lighter

Water Purification Tabs

Shemahg

Socks

Knife

Protein Bar

Water Bladder

Headlight

Flashlight

Poncho

Space blanket

Liquid IV

We also throw in a flat of water and some MRE's before we leave the house

 

Off-Roading I have a Rugged Tub with some recovery gear:

Entrenchment Tool

Tire Deflators and Valve stems

Air Pump

Rope

Snap strap

Shackles

Tire chains if we go into the snow

 

I know this may seem light by some standards but I haven't ever needed more - matter of fact, I haven't needed this much.  I'm sure I can carry more and may amend this over time but that's the most of it.  I find the more you pack, the more it has the potential to become a liability in a collision or roll over.  I don't want to get killed by my survival gear.  So I limit it to the basics:

Shelter

Hydration

Nutrition

Medical

Coms

 

Two books helped me settle on this load out:

98.6 Degrees by Cody Lundin - https://www.codylundin.com/degrees.html

Deep Survival by Laurence Gonzales - https://www.amazon.com/Deep-Survival-Who-Lives-Dies/dp/0393353710

 

Ammo?  No clue what you are talking about.  No firearms in this truck.  ;-)

 

 

 

 

Excellent list and very complete. I plan to refer back to this one as I update my FAK. I need to do an inventory and refresh the meds I have in my kit, I'm pretty sure they've expired.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, 4x4tographer said:

 

Excellent list and very complete. I plan to refer back to this one as I update my FAK. I need to do an inventory and refresh the meds I have in my kit, I'm pretty sure they've expired.

 

Liquid meds usually expire on or near their exp date - especially if left in your car (temperature extremes).

Things like Advil "Liqui-Gel" pills fall into this.

 

But your more solid medications in pill / tablet form can last years beyond the exp date.  Obviously if they are vacuum sealed and kept in a coll refrigerator they would last longer (almost indefinitely) than in your truck, but meds in the truck are still good for a long time.  Don't hesitate to go 4 or 5 years past the exp.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was going to edit to add - the one thing in my bag that DOES expire rather quickly is medical tape.  All it takes is a day or two parked in the AZ sun and that medical tape becomes one solid chunk of fused adhesive and backing material.  The Coban (for pets is cheaper than for people - same stuff) seems to last longer but still has a melting / fusing point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GTGallop said:

Was going to edit to add - the one thing in my bag that DOES expire rather quickly is medical tape.  All it takes is a day or two parked in the AZ sun and that medical tape becomes one solid chunk of fused adhesive and backing material.  The Coban (for pets is cheaper than for people - same stuff) seems to last longer but still has a melting / fusing point.

X2 on the Coban (vet wrap) instead of tape.  
I also carry a flat packed elastic (Ace) bandage in my car kit, as well as in my hiking kit and my Canyon volunteer FAK.

 

To combat the fused tape problem I carry strips of Leuko tape applied to label release or parchment paper.  
This also makes on-trail application on sweaty feet way easier when treating a blister or anyplace else vet wrap or an Ace can’t be used to secure a dressing.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...