theksmith

storing junk in your spare tire's wheel?

with the Teraflex spare tire carrier and factory wheel, i have a fairly large (but odd-shaped) empty space inside the wheel that's easy to access...

anyone storing anything in there?

sbN0HmvCX5uXSpqV44nabl9eH4ZVBRZ9tcjPMVoTAydl3cqvOLkLY2T1FMs80V67rsJAoMHO31GTvJNZWFcKX66OyPL69bvlkzEH5tQxBb9eUtJaz9ibMVk6Qea0LDWMEEXDyHmmC2TeCZ2T3py3AOPN1TdKpiO-jD9_7gUfTEUOGZ6lXa4AqeGvhI9Se0iuzYRquaeRnCYFcXS0qMahmfooUanenQ76-WaXR4FqMBzfubrB182SG8O6vHR_gjcPhvLnVeNxGCfqtfssc5ZpfVIk_r_VZg6alPqAQoFkRlZCkxOP5KNPJXBW76vDgqEdsW6qOaUFojaw_KT0Q4XeXE3EXJoynBr28S15cPUzyyxMwWMGy4JZ0Pz65a5UBxjoSLORymRQ7RMFqslOnqIiot3D9KahD0UoCLxdy3VEdinCondw-FZhYdLyV6xl75B_OffgEsueCNQHaUz9iLDBgxs5O0W3ylkUbP-hn6r7TKXtRaKU55EOvZoSKe3p8gVbQQ9zh4mnPB32N7MStGMJ7jj5XmY67ITLkiIjI8LwhdfMbPgsmqFnSjD7-B3kSBDT-ioGt31caw-PUuiPswpfiLo5SNLMXafzw2jhJkkxSBvfY4BMxdao_xy58oYchnNuEce3zgSt5Fu_9eNZTnCOzSg3PXRexN4_=s800

i was first thinking spare fluids, but i don't want to put a bunch more weight back there... so i'm trying to think of something reasonably light that would fit just right or a small bag that could attach there. would have to be something that can get dusty and wet, or else have a waterproof bag/box.

maybe a bag with recovery straps and shackles?

on my WJ, i had the spare laying on the floor inside and so i kept a bunch of spare parts in the wheel:

P1100131.JPG

so who's got what tucked away in their spare tire?

I keep tools wrapped in an old factory spare tire cover under my spare tire & secure it to the floor with bungee cords. If I need access on the trail I prop the tire up with my cooler to gain access to my junk.

Recovery gear is the only items, that I would think to put there.

I think this is a good idea:

https://www.morris4x4center.com/bestop-roughrider-spare-tire-organizer-black-diamond-54135-35.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwkKPVBRDtARIsAA2CG6FB2v3tmvEm9nHozDzgWdx-oq61G8Futb_X3ryvFTNpwXuwdmGSDU8aAlR_EALw_wcB

I'd concider something like that if we end up centering my spare tire carrier when we reconfigure the rear bumper - otherwise I think it would hang off the passenger side too much, block the taillight and get caught up on stuff