jgaz

Bedliner coating over plywood?

Does anyone here have any experience applying bedliner paint to plywood?

I’m looking for info on specific brand used, method of application, surface prep, or any other advice you’re willing to share.

Thanks

Does anyone here have any experience applying bedliner paint to plywood?

I’m looking for info on specific brand used, method of application, surface prep, or any other advice you’re willing to share.

Thanks

i can tell you not to use the Duplicolor stuff in regular spray cans. it just doesn't go on that thick like you're expecting for "bedliner". once in use, it wore/chipped off on the corners and edges fairly soon.

it also took a bunch of cans on the first piece of plywood i tried (soaked in). i pre-coated the next sections with some black oil-based paint and then things went much faster with less cans of the bedliner.

i've heard good things about U-Pol Raptor liner for DIY. it can be rolled on but you supposedly get a much better look if you use their spray applicator with a compressor.

also, i've looked at Herculiner and some of the other big-name ones, and IMO, Line-X leaves the nicest final appearance (and from their price they seem to know it).

The guys on one of the camping trailer forums I am on, use Durabak. I have not used it myself but it seems to work

Thanks guys.

Pelagius, when I started looking into Durabak I found a number of indications that Herculiner is made by the same company and several people claim it’s the same product sold under two names.

I don’t know if that’s true but I did find that the installation instructions, specifically for applying over wood, are way better for Herculiner than for any other product I researched.

Just an FYI

Fair enough, thank you for the heads up!

so what are you making Jim??

so what are you making Jim??

I plan to build a removable base board the will allow me to mount my fridge slide on the left side with a fairly long,narrow,

drawer on the right. I’d like to be able to secure, and some what conceal, the various off road necessities when I leave the LJ at a trail head.

I know nothing is theft proof but I’m hoping for a bit of “ outta sight, outta mind.

I plan to build a removable base board the will allow me to mount my fridge slide on the left side with a fairly long,narrow,

drawer on the right. I’d like to be able to secure, and some what conceal, the various off road necessities when I leave the LJ at a trail head.

I know nothing is theft proof but I’m hoping for a bit of “ outta sight, outta mind.

sweet - can't wait to see the finished project!

you're likely already familiar with the huge thread on expo portal where people have posted their storage/drawer creations. if not, it might provide some additional inspiration: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/9034-Post-up-your-drawer-storage-system

Thanks. Yes I’ve seen that thread. There are some amazing builds on there.

Mine won’t be “fine woodworking” I’ll leave that for my furniture projects.

I just got to get moving on it. I thought retirement meant having lots of spare time!