theksmith

turn or replace rotors when doing pads?

70dp1bq95wusoBIoqu1qta-L-56AzwHkjD4SPIrCMK49D5xFYqg0M3u1u4-XUarh20BSAu8Wq55Bm3s4GaKYXHHhGtW2hVmwc7o5Ba0_VRu0n7b78Fyns0uB0YrtBlwp7agAXfdaXmCeumhLHRRwCtMe2sYRzg8LhqXxdbK0QvyAHw6dOHMkLA-R-3n54Y-nv5w_XzrcS4WS7pJoVomwT2dw3WNixsisj305zP_ALmQih0ze14PoIs8AjgXoAZuwMGYC9uAGnSQtHObXQLtc3RFhwz_ZpwYZoeVxssfTsQYd-KJck-l2aC7G2N_1ojQbrhGdgiRB-BsTEfz4VS_OS71oDzMnlvV7T0g7-II3ybxIBxT0nzxc7IP3XEPTp_Mo7gOKMzcfHqCcb5EJrC5GKGwuhi1z6L_FTzDMH-Ibxp4Ld8b56Pi_2bpkVQIy7qjaJHkMaKwk7bniXudHwb6MmVBwKYgK_hfuEGs2Wa0iIhgwjDsUVefuYMIEKlvcg023faQsgPd23AH-lB0HSKb7WU7kQMY2I7jeqGrMedocd92xSKRh2uYqZUxNg-nSjVyRCFHcDiMH7I9kmTGrR5TSQKS1G8xAEwx0VnVXUXAULPL0TnznBhPfzvNfQnEKH1TY-fc7u0oNcFD5XnOC_v6YcAohRrSQOjPB=s800

this seems to be somewhat of a religious subject... but i'll ask anyway:

i need to replace my front brake pads on the JK soon and am wondering if i should also have the rotors turned, replace them, or just leave them alone.

- i'm not experiencing any pulsation/vibration/shimmy or other problems when braking.

- i haven't checked them for runout yet, but if i'm not getting any symptoms of warping then i'm guessing they'll be OK.

- since these are the original factory pads and rotors, i'm also guessing that there'll be enough thickness to have them turned if i wanted.

i'm not interested in "performance" rotors or any major system upgrades at this time. however, i'm considering putting in some fairly expensive EBC pads and so i want to do the whole job correctly. in the past, i've always replaced only the pads when needed and left the rotors alone unless they were warped or severely grooved.

new Bosch rotors are only $55 each, so if the consensus is that something should be done with rotors anytime you change pads - i'd lean towards just replacing them rather than turning them.

thanks in advance!

I've never seen rotors that look like that. Did you use that picture as an illustration of what happens if you turn your rotors too often? :confused:

I just replace the pads and never had a problem, except one time on my Dodge 2500 I got a vibration when applying brake. I took the front rotors to Big-O and had them turned and problem solved.

I've never seen rotors that look like that. Did you use that picture as an illustration of what happens if you turn your rotors too often? :confused:

picture just for attention ;) that's what happens when people don't care that their brakes are making horrible, horrible noises for a long, long time!

I only turn rotors if there is wear/warpage on the rotor. If you do have vibes, its best to have the rotors turned on the vehicle.

On most front wheel drive vehicles I normally replaced the front rotors along with the brake pads. That being said the vast majority of these in the last 15 or so years were done as a favor for a friend or neighbor. I didn’t always drive the vehicle before doing the job and I really didn’t want to have to do the job twice. I’m saving them $ on the labor, they can spring for the new rotors.

On my own vehicles I didn’t replace the rotors unless I had a brake pulsation.

In my experience, unless you are talking about a full size truck or van, turning the rotors seldom fixes the pulsation problem in the long term. With the lighter vehicles there is just not enough material to allow for turning and expect them to stay true.

On your JK I think I would just replace the pads and take a chance on the original rotors.

thanks for the opinions everyone! sounds like i'll just replace pads unless i find major grooves in the rotors.

For my jeep brake rotors are cheap and turning them is a hassle so I always buy new pads and rotors

FB6B9574-C706-4AB6-AA4D-00F2C9C26DAA_zpstdd8zlqb.jpg

Scott, is that wheel spacer there coming off your hub?

EDIT: Oh never mind its a locking hub type thing yea?

Scott, is that wheel spacer there coming off your hub?

EDIT: Oh never mind its a locking hub type thing yea?

Correct, locking hubs.