Sign in to follow this  
adriaanvn99

1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9

Thought I might as well start a build thread as I start digging into the ZJ. I found this ZJ listed just as a “Jeep” on Craigslist. I stumbled upon it by accident and what caught my attention was the iconic 5.9 hood vents it had on the hood. It was listed for $600, so I gave the guy a call. He couldn’t really tell me the history of the vehicle, only that it has been sitting in an abandoned lot out in Coolidge. He said the trans gave out as it doesn’t shift into reverse anymore. I offered him $450 and he said deal. I thought heck, what is there to lose. I made a reservation for a Uhual flatbed trailer, hooked it up and off I went down to Coolidge. Met the guy at the car, and he brought a new battery along to fire it up. It fired up, and I was pretty impressed with how good the 5.9 sounded. No knocks or ticks or anything out of the norm. It has a little bit of body rust on the door and it is very dirty. On the way home I stopped at the self service wash to high pressure hose everything and get rid of all the dirt.

I’ve not entirely made up my mind as of yet what my intentions are with the car, but I just had to get it. I will have more clear directions once I start taking everything apart and give it a closer inspection. Hopefully there’s nothing too serious and I’ll be able to bring the Niner back to life!

49BF898C-3CA9-45FE-BAFF-E99E65D0569B.thumb.jpg.2e93c98df6c4ad85b3b0ae886e366857.jpg

C888C96C-0FC2-4AFB-9521-EC24574150B8.thumb.jpg.e976ab8501d896425ee2082e6af57ea8.jpg

A8B56D35-BC29-4E84-B449-AF498B4A2007.thumb.jpg.7beb83e185e40ac843ca6dd9f4648d90.jpg

sounds like a steal to me!

hopefully you can just fix or replace the tranny and make it into a luxury wheeling rig... maybe it could be your expedition/camping rig and the XJ could become a more hardcore trail rig?

It's already got mud terrains on it too, nice score! Like your XJ plate too

Zulu-feature-image-592x330.jpg

The trans might just be low on oil. Nice find.

sounds like a steal to me!

hopefully you can just fix or replace the tranny and make it into a luxury wheeling rig... maybe it could be your expedition/camping rig and the XJ could become a more hardcore trail rig?

Thats what I am hoping it works out to be. The 5.9 seems like a great overlanding engine with plenty of power and space inside. Although it is a little heavier on gas, but its a Jeep after all.

It's already got mud terrains on it too, nice score! Like your XJ plate too

Zulu-feature-image-592x330.jpg

Thanks Scott - glad to see you've heard about the Zulu before! Coincidentally though that used to be my Search and Rescue callsign back in South Africa (Zulu is Z in the radio alphabet)

The trans might just be low on oil. Nice find.

Thanks George. I am also thinking it is something simple like wrong or low fluid levels. The thought of a NSS also bombing out is possibly an option too as the reverse lights aren't coming on. Once I am back from San Diego next week I will start seeing exactly what is wrong. The ODO is reading 200 000 miles, which isn't low, but not too bad either. The fact that the engine seemed in relatively good condition also leads me that it is a simpler trans issue, but I have heard the 46RE can be funky.

First part ordered! For some reason the oil indicator dipstick was snapped in half. Ordered Mopar replacement #53020948

First part ordered! For some reason the oil indicator dipstick was snapped in half. Ordered Mopar replacement #53020948

Is the other half still down in there? How you gonna get it out? Sweet find though. Totally watching this thread. :)

Is the other half still down in there? How you gonna get it out? Sweet find though. Totally watching this thread. :)

Luckily the top was only about 1.5 inches down so I managed to get some needlenose pliers in there!

Thanks! Will hopefully get things going soon :D

once you get it all restored, the "ZJ" needs a "ZULU JP" license plate!