jgaz

Camping/backpacking meals

Stumbled across what I think is an excellent site for DIY backpacking or Jeeping meals

https://www.theyummylife.com/Backpacking_Food

I really like the authors method of packing 7 days of meals in one bear canister. As well as no cooking, boiling water only preparations. Site seems to be the rare collaboration of a good cook and an avid backpacker (taste tester).

The oatmeal variations look interesting. Eating the same thing for 5 or 6 days straight does get a bit boring.

Very cool, thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing. Kinda reminds me of the seal-a-meals my mom would make my dad and I for when we went on hunting trips.

Great post Jim!

Thanks for posting!

smiles, ladybug

What I use for camping is a rice cooker. I just put all the ingredients in that mostly I cook congee or stew.

Posted (edited)

A recent post to this thread reminded me of my latest taste test.

I stood  a pouch of “Starkist Chicken Creations” in a pot the diameter of a 1qt Nalgene bottle, (after I snipped off a corner).

Brought the water to a boil and left the pouch in the pot to simmer for about 3 minutes.  Scooped the chicken into a tortilla and ate it.

It was a keeper, especially for backpacking food.  In fact, I’d eat it Jeep camping.  I’d probably want two pouches after day of backpacking though.  No refrigeration required and 11 grams of protein.

4D5809D4-5EF5-4D10-859C-5DC492C1D8F5.png.ee1364938926db647d041e7973aa17ed.png           

Note:   Starkist doesn’t list this as a way to heat this product.  

However, I saw no degradation of the pouch, noticed any weird flavors and haven’t died yet!😉

YMMV

Edited by jgaz
  • Like 3

Thanks for sharing this to us.

I love the part of nutrition and no need to cook it will really save time, though cooking in the middle of nowhere is exciting and can help you create a bond with your family as well as it will promote collaboration.