GRUNT

Transfer Case Studs

Working on the Jeep and need to mount a transfer case shifter bracket. It mounts to the Transfer case studs. My studs only clear the transmission to transfer case adapter enough to fit the lock washer and nut. The shifter bracket is 3/16". Can I back the transfer case stud out 3/16" temporarily? If I take it out, add some thread locker and then place it back in but with a longer length, will this destroy anything for one weekend? I know proper form, and which I intend to do as time permits(I am under a deadline currently,) is to order longer studs. I plan to do so in the following weeks.

NOTE: Picture for example. Not my set up.

1569172928_tcasestuds.jpg.6837258e80b5388b2193df2f197ffc11.jpg

i say back it out just enough to be able to mount your bracket and fully engage the nut, skip the lock washer for now - use some blue locktite instead on both the nut and the stud.

i say back it out just enough to be able to mount your bracket and fully engage the nut, skip the lock washer for now - use some blue locktite instead on both the nut and the stud.

Thanks, K-Dude. I am in the process of dropping the T-case and backing out the studs. Needed to come in for some H20. My garage is West facing, so it is hot, hot, hot, in out there! I talked to a friend that cautioned me on this remedy but said try at a minimum to keep the equivalent of 1x the width of the stud for depth as not to strip it out when mounted.

In the interim, I will order the appropriate length studs and replace them as time permits.